Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a part for Samsung monitor circuit board

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tbone8

tbone8

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hi, I have an older Samsung LED monitor 172N. Looks like a small capacitor has burnt up. There is no number imprinted on it and I need to know what I can use to replace it. The board number is BN44-00092A and the slot it goes in is C32. I know, its an old monitor, should just throw it away but I have done this many times to all sorts of electronics and saves some bucks...! Anyone that could help out on this would be much appreciated.
Tom

07a98d9f-3cb4-441a-b4c4-ad5d205ceb57_zps

2a78ad49-9a30-46dc-9650-283bf3b2fb9e_zps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I can see other additional components failing on that board without looking closely/testing... bin time.

2iih6c8.jpg

#3 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Most ceramics in there are 100nF,10%,16V,X7R,TP,1608

Heres a site for the Board:

http://shop.accessory4you.com/05-chanpin/p-001-1.asp?id=4126

Ya you got more caps then that that look blown.

Edited by Roodo, 24 October 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

It will be a high voltage ceramic capacitor, you'll be able to identify it from the identical circuit for the other backlight supply (the identical transformer and blue capacitors at the top of your first image).

As others have said, to have a chance of the repair being reliable, you will at least need to replace the faulty electrolytic capacitors, and carefully clean up where the capacitor has burned, to remove any carbonization (backlight ignition is over 1000V) that could be conductive.

The boards are still available new as a spare part - here in Australia, sourced from Samsung through a service centre looks like would sell for about $45.

Edited by Platypus, 24 October 2013 - 08:25 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

You can get a nice new LED 24" monitor for less than $200, with a 3 year warranty. :idea:

#6 tbone8

tbone8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Ahh, good eyes! Its an old monitor, just hate to pitch it without giving it a shot for repair. I ordered the little blue discs, are the other capacitors readily available? Thanks guys for helping out the newbie!

#7 tbone8

tbone8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

You can get a nice new LED 24" monitor for less than $200, with a 3 year warranty. :idea:

Yah, I know, but I like to fix stuff! :hysterical:

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Roodo suggested a nice site just to buy a new board...

Or, as you like to fix stuff you can just read the capacitors (it says what they are on the side of them) and buy new components. Will be easy and cheap to get. Might be able to find a circuit diagram somewhere also, google might know.

Brave man. :warrior:

edit: do you own a multimeter? so many bits look suspect (like that chip looking thing next to where the ceramic melted) it may be that half of the board doesn't work already...

Edited by TsVk!, 24 October 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#9 tbone8

tbone8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Roodo suggested a nice site just to buy a new board...

Or, as you like to fix stuff you can just read the capacitors (it says what they are on the side of them) and buy new components. Will be easy and cheap to get. Might be able to find a circuit diagram somewhere also, google might know.

Brave man. :warrior:

edit: do you own a multimeter? so many bits look suspect (like that chip looking thing next to where the ceramic melted) it may be that half of the board doesn't work already...

I do have a multimeter and will check that out. Thanks for the pointer and if anyone else has any, feel free. I just realized all you folks are from down under, how cool. That is one country I would love to visit some time. If Hillary gets elected in a couple years I might move there!

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

You'll have to stay in a camp with the rest of the refugees though... :lmao:

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,210 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

The electrolytic capacitors would not be expensive, but you should buy decent quality 105°C rated parts, not the consumer grade 85°C type. They don't last long in that application.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hi, You can buy from here or get suggestions of where to buy also.

badcaps.net

The forums are a useful resource, that I have used in the past.

I have purchased from there too, Always buy quality, why replace again in a year or so.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#13 keseriz

keseriz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

@tbone8, these are 0.1uF / 5W capacitors which are generally used for noise suppression and/or reverse protection in some cases. The best possible solution is to get them from your nearest electronics store and get them soldered on the board and it’ll work. You can however use capacitors of higher rating as well such as 10W or so but they’ll be a bit bigger in size. This capacitor apparently seems like the rest of the blue coloured capacitors so do try to read the values off them first.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,210 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Thank you for taking the trouble to register as a member, keseriz.

I'm sure you have good intentions in offering your advice, however I must observe that it is wrong. One indicator is that capacitors do not have 5W or 10W ratings, which would apply to power resistors. Further to that, the capacitors in question are small capacity high voltage ceramic series capacitors in the resonance circuit of the backlight supply rather than a type which would be used for interference suppression.

#15 lti

lti

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

Yes, those are definitely high voltage capacitors. C36 might be the same part, and the circuit is duplicated on the other side of the board. The other capacitors are easy to find. Those electrolytic capacitors are poor quality (I recognize the brand name), and it would be a good idea to replace all of them if you can get the monitor to work again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users