Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimizing my internet connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 red7204

red7204

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Hi,

My Computer Specs

HP Pavillion p6674y

Connect with a mobile broadband hotspot

Using a Usb Adapter - TP-LINK TL-WN822N Wireless N300 High Gain USB Adapter, 300Mbps, Dual 3dBi External Antennas,w/WPS Button, IEEE 802.1b/g/n,WEP, WPA/WPA2

Distance 10 feet and 50 feet

Internet is a 3G mobile broadband from verizon

I need some help with getting my internet optimized. I have a 3G wireless plan with verizon. I have a mobile hotspot modem that I can use as a mobile hotspot. I was using it directly with the usb modem function of the device but then started using it as a hotspot so I could connect multiple computers to the hotspot. I live in a rural area so wireless is my only option other than satellite. I have two computers that are using usb adapters to connect to the internet. I am using the below usb adapter to connect my computer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00416Q5KI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does well for most of the time. I use the internet for games, news, and email. I can get it to a full signal according to the signal strength of the Windows 7 software and the TP Link software that came with the adapter. When I play games my ping is about 130-140 ms, down 60 ms from when I was using the old connection and now using the TP link adapter. But the problem is that when I play games now I have a low ping but I have rubberbanding affect where I try to change direction of moving and I skip a few frames in the previous direction.

I was looking at other options and usb adapters and routers to see if this I have the best hardware for my computer. I came across this article that talked about getting 3G/4G to the best optimization. According to this article I need fully open Nat type 2 connection to maximize getting the best ping in games. I read the article and it list certain routers but they are very expensive. Here is the article.

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3593/64/

I read about getting a nat 2 connection. So how can I get a nat 2 connection and what is the best router or usb adapter to use. What is the best hardware to use for my 3G Wireless connection.

One other problem I have always had, is that in games my ping will spike to 988 ms occasionally for 10 seconds but then it goes back to below 200 ms. It passes but can be a real problem in certain situations.

Any Help would be great,

Thanks,

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

red7204, if you have a need to connect more than 5 devices to your hotspot connection then I think the CradlePoint MBR95 router would be a great choice. If you connect to the router via cable rather than wireless, you'd go back to the same latency as you had when connected directly via USB. If you think the router will make your over all connection faster, I'm afraid it won't tho.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 red7204

red7204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it. Did you see the part where I metioned the fully open nat 2 connection. What is this, do I get a nat 2 connection or is this only with a router or does my TP link network adapter already have one, if it does then maybe I have the best I can have. I am most interested in the nat 2 connection. Did you see the part where I mentioned my ping would spike to 988 for about 10 seconds then go back to normal ping. I will mostly have up to 3 maybe 4 connectioned so I don't think I will need the cradle router. When looking for an network adapter, what is best for my connection, 150-N , 300-N, I even saw a 600-N. Did you see the network adapter I am using. It has antennas on it, is this a good product or can you recommend a better one. Back to my 1st post. Why is the usb connection so slow and the wireless hotspot much better than the usb connection.

Thanks again

Edited by red7204, 24 October 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it. You're most welcome

Did you see the part where I metioned the fully open nat 2 connection. What is this, do I get a nat 2 connection or is this only with a router or does my TP link network adapter already have one, if it does then maybe I have the best I can have. I am most interested in the nat 2 connection. I did see it but everything I read about NAT 1, 2 3 is just talking about consoles and how they are connected to the net. NAT 1 = Public IP address(ie not behind a router) NAT 2 = Private IP address (ie behind a router) NAT 3 = something is blocking access(ie firewall or port restrictions). What is your IP address when connected to the hot spot? 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x 192.168.x.x, if it starts with something different just say not one of those.

Did you see the part where I mentioned my ping would spike to 988 for about 10 seconds then go back to normal ping. I did see and I believe this is just fluctuations in the signal.

I will mostly have up to 3 maybe 4 connectioned so I don't think I will need the cradle router. When looking for an network adapter, what is best for my connection, 150-N , 300-N, I even saw a 600-N. Did you see the network adapter I am using. It has antennas on it, is this a good product or can you recommend a better one. What speed is the hotspot? I never did ask and should have, which hotspot do you have? But the TP-Link you linked looked like a good adapter to me.

Back to my 1st post. Why is the usb connection so slow and the wireless hotspot much better than the usb connection I completely mis-read that part, sorry. I thought it got worse when you went wireless. I'll look into this a bit more.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 red7204

red7204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

To answer your questions, I have a MiFi 2200 and I read the theoretical maximum speed is supposed to be 54 Mbps. I tried using a search engine to find out more, but it brought up amazon and their site did not have much. I tried searching how fast it is supposed to go and only found a few forum posts.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/443136/

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-and-smart/verizon-wireless-mifi-2200/4505-6448_7-33658722.html

How do I find the ip address like you asked about the hotspot.

Thanks again,

Edited by red7204, 25 October 2013 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users