Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Virus - Safe mode not working, Hitman pro not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerdummie1

computerdummie1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi, thanks in advance for any help!

I am infected with FBI Virus, I went through this a year ago, so know the drill.  That time the safe mode worked, but time, it doesn't. 

Trying to access Safe mode just forces a shutdown.

I then tried the Hitman pro, from a USB drive method, I got it loaded from a friends computer onto a flash drive, got it loaded onto the infected computer.

This did not work either.

For some reason, the Hitman pro goes into effect, BEFORE I have logged into Windows - NOT after, as all instructions I have been following show.   The Hitman window comes up at the same time the log into windows screen does.  So the Hitman pro DOES not come up after the FBI screen is up, and instructions I followed showed it should.

Any tips?  Should I keep trying Hitman again?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

I've run into variants that won't allow Hitman to work.

EDIT: I'm assuming you tried all 3 boot options under Hitman??

What model computer and what OS??

There's several different things you can try- remember that you can still defeat it by going 'old school' :D

90% of the time when I have cleaned a FBI virus infection, the culprit was a file called "skype.dat" residing in either the Temp Internet Files or in the AppData folders.

One thing you could try is going into Startup Repair and selecting Command Prompt, then plugging in the USB and try running Hitman from there. Startup Repair is kind of a Windows PE enviroment, so some apps will run in it (Farbar, for one).

Edited by Netghost56, 24 October 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#3 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

My computer is a Dell Inspiron, all in one type desktop,  Windows 7.

UPDATE!!!! POSSIBLE SUCCESS FOR NOW???????

I tried running Hitman again, and I have the computer running - for now anyway.

I had to enter an e-mail address to activate a 30 day trial - this enabled the Hitman to delete the minor stuff, that I guess was part of the issue.  I think the "one time" thing on Hitman, only does major threats.   So the second time, working so far, now, I need to know what to do to try and clear all this stuff out of my computer........I have a feeling there is all sorts of this FBI stuff embedded in my computer, as I have gotten a lot of weird error messages and stuff.....

I have now spent, maybe 5 hours this second time, on the FBI Virus, scouring the internet, and reading, and trying stuff, whomever invents this stuff, they are really miserable human beings.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

The way I handle FBI virus clean up is this:

-Boot Hitman Kickstart - whichever boot option works

-Select "one time run" option

*You have to have an active internet connection so it will upload unknown files for verification from Hitman's cloud.

-When it finishes scanning, I make a note of the location of the infected files-look at the details under each file.

-Then I boot to Startup Repair, select Command Prompt option

-Navigate to the folder where the infected file(s) reside

-REName the files- I never delete them outright. Renaming them stops the auto-run function. If it doesn't, I start from step 1 and this time I delete.

-Next boot to Normal mode and run my AV and malware cleaners.

That's worked 99% of the time for me.

Edited by Netghost56, 24 October 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#5 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thank you for the replies, so far so good, the second time with Hitman has the computer running. I have run multiple scans with Malawarebytes, Hitman, and Avast, the past hour.

To further explain, why I don't think Hitman worked the first time -

It found minor threats, which are not removed in a "one time" thing.  I had to enter an e-mail address, and go for the 30 day trial, which then removed the minor threats which turned to be exactly what caused the FBI lockup upon startup. 

NONE of the videos or instructions I had watched or read on Hitman showed this step, a very simple thing.

At this point, the computer has started ok several times, but I may still have the FBI inside the computer, any more tips to continue the cleaning process appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yes, like I mentioned in my last post, I use Hitman to discover the infected files- not to clean them. I do that manually in Startup Repair using Command Prompt.

As I am an IT tech, I work on many systems, so rather than have dozens of emails coming to me I simply utilize the one-time scan to my benefit.

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you get infected again, the 30 day trial may be over- and you'll likely have to purchase Hitman in order to clean your system :thumbup2:

Edited by Netghost56, 24 October 2013 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users