Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 and Combofix?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JudyBug

JudyBug

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hey, I am new here and really did not now where to post for help. Although new as a member, I have frequently visited this site and have used Combofix for years to remove unwanted items from computers and have always been successful with no issues afterwards. I think I have screwed up royally!!! And worse, on a friends pc, and I will just die if I cannot get it going again. So I humbling myself for help! I guess I am now realizing that maybe I should not have ran Combofix on the WIN8 os? But I did, way to much junk on that pc to hand clean! Anyhow, when I was done running the program, it gave me the longest report I have ever seen in my years with the program. Afterwards, I lost the Ethernet Driver and the wireless driver. The computer is a HP p2 1300 series, I went to the HP site to obtain the drivers, it only offers the Ethernet driver, and only one. WHen I tried to install it I got an error message that said, my system had not been updated to ran that driver??? So I went home to do some more research. Friend calls me up later and tells me she cannot even get solitaire to launch. You click on the program to start it and it carries you right back to the desktop. I drive back over and go to looking through the "Services" and see that over 90% of them have been disabled. So today I have obtained a list of WIN 8 services and how they are set by default ( disabled, manual, etc.) and plan to go back and set everything back the way it should be. Any suggestions or advice would be most graciously appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JudyBug

JudyBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Also, I do know about Systen Restore, however, the users disabled it. Also, they have no recovery disc either.

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

No install disks/recovery disks? You could try getting replacement disks from HP.

But, there should be a recovery partition, unless Combofix has totally zapped it  - have a look at this:

HP PCs - Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)

Backup any personal stuff first.

Edited by petewills , 25 October 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#4 JudyBug

JudyBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Thank you for the reply! I was able to get the Ethernet driver and other  things going again by setting all the services back to "automatic or manual". Whew and Wow!!! What a learning process this has been!!! Next I am going to follow up on your tip and make her a recovery disk as well. I am so thankful to all the Guru's who post help topics here and share their experiences and knowledge. What program would one recommend for removing malware, etc. on a Windows 8 machine?

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Probably not Combofix.

The best way is to wipe the drive, or restore a saved clean image backup.

Windows Defender included in Win 8, takes on viruses and other breeds of malware.
According to Microsoft, Defender on Windows 8 provides an acceptable minimum level of protection and will disable itself automatically if another antivirus suite is installed. Avast free AV is well regarded, also Malwarebytes.

Just one of many positive reviews, (you can Google for others):

"Windows Defender doesn’t have the legs to compete with Avast. Using our own collection of malware, Avast detected twice as many dirty files as Windows Defender, though that might have to do with the way each program counts individual files within an infected archive. In both cases, Malwarebytes detected infections that both Windows Defender and Avast missed. However, Avast is better at detecting zero-day threats and adds a second layer of protection through its automatic sandbox mode, which Windows Defender lacks."

Of course, you can alway post in the 'Am I infected' forum, if you run into problems.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:

• Windows XP (32-bit only)
  • Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
  • Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)

You can use

TDSSKiller

AdwCleaner

Junkware Removal Tool

ESET OnlineScan

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit..

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Do you still h ave a copy of the combofix log?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users