Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 colonelsam

colonelsam

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hello there.

I really am not sure where to start from, so I will just try to give my best;

I bought this ultrabook back in early 2010. First there was an issue with the mb and I was presented with a choice ; to exchange , to receive a self-repair kit. The issue was with the sata cable. Anyhow, I was recovering from a back injury at the moment and my memories are not particularly clear from back then. At some point I received an official update/msg that my support is over and that I can have one last upgrade. But in order to install the update I had to encrypt my HD, burn an "unique" CD for decryption and flash a weird BIOS and if Iwas to ever format the drive I will not be able to restore the system to that state. I remember that at that moment the DVDram drive was not able to burn, because it was somehow hooked to the graphics adapter, so I saved this "key" to my HD and I believe it is still there. 

As you could probably guess I messed it all up. I forgot about all this and upgraded to Win7 from Vista without taking the necessary steps ( upgrading ADSM (a*us))

Actually I had completely forgotten about all that, but had a flashback about two months ago and started to dig, managed, by trial and error , to install new drivers, even get the nb to run in SLI, it is unstable however, and I know how to start it but after a reboot it has to be done again.

However, I cannot update or change the BIOS and the system has a policy of its own, I do not have full rights and it shadows several HW components. I did not do a zero fill format or anything more serious than a Win 7/8.1/7 reinstall. The tools that can be used to convert the system back are still somewhere on the HD ( I think ) , as several folders with a suitable modified date remain intact and inaccessible. 

I feel this is out of my league and decided to seek a more sophisticated opinion. I stumbled upon http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501967/slow-computer-not-sure-why/ and felt that you will be able to provide such. Since it is stated that no DDS RKill etc. reports should be posted here I am awaiting instructions. Many thanks for any time spent in advance.

Edited by colonelsam, 24 October 2013 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Good afternoon.

I read your post several times, but I'm confused.

Is the issue that you're wanting help with having to do with a slow computer? Or are you wanting to do a reinstall of the OS?

What is the current OS you have installed?

At some point I received an official update/msg that my support is over and that I can have one last upgrade. But in order to install the update I had to encrypt my HD, burn an "unique" CD for decryption and flash a weird BIOS and if Iwas to ever format the drive I will not be able to restore the system to that state.

Never heard of anything like this before- Who or Where did you get this from?

#3 colonelsam

colonelsam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Good evening

It was either from nvidia or from Asus, I do not remember exactly. I am running Win 7 Ultimate x64 . What other info might be helpful?

I think that the laptop is crippled by that, it makes me smile right now, but I remember that the agreement required me to peel off the Ati something, and Tru SRS stickers off the notebook but leaving the nvidia sticker there as well as to change the S/N sticker on the bottom of the laptop, and that was in order to receive extended warranty from Asus...

Edited by colonelsam, 24 October 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

It would have to be Asus and not Nvidia. But still those instructions make no sense to me. It sounds bogus, IMO. Like malware.

I would suggest you make a post in the  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section, but since you need a log, do this:

download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Don't forget to copy/paste what you've written here. Then you should get some assistance there on cleanup. If the Malware Experts don't find anything they will direct you to where you can get the proper assistance. Good Luck

#5 colonelsam

colonelsam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Will do. Thank you

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

New MRL topic
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511807/unknown-infection/#entry3190008

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
The current wait time is 1 - 2 days and ALL logs are answered.
If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.
To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users