Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick help needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kingjames113

kingjames113

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

I am working on a computer for a friend. it is a windows vista home premium (unsure if x32 or x64). I have an OEMACT code on the sticker in the back. Her hard drive died (clicking) and I can't clone any part of it (os or recovery) due to two bad sectors. I am in need of an option to install the operating system onto a new hard drive that I have. She is leaving the state in 30 hours so it is cutting it close. Where can I get a disk or make one from online? Is there a special one I need since it is an OEMACT key?

Also it is a Sony VAIO PCG-7173L.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

OEM keys generally won't work with a new install. You can try but be prepared for the key not to work. Disc images (isos) are available online if you know where to look, but I'm pretty sure it's a violation of the rules to specify where and how to use disc copies.

You might ask people you know if they have a disc.

EDIT: It's been said that if you call Microsoft directly and explain the issue- have the service tag of the system as well as the OEM key on hand- they may give you a key or activate the OS remotely (assuming you have the computer online).

Edited by Netghost56, 24 October 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Here's a page of info on what you can do if the key fails:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931276

#4 kingjames113

kingjames113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I hope Microsoft would give me a key. Otherwise I would need to buy one. Do you know a good place to buy just the key and get the information in like an email or download? Don't have time for shipping.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_install/how-do-i-purchase-a-vista-ultimate-product-key/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-product-key#get-windows-product-key=windows-vista

#6 kingjames113

kingjames113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thank you. They don't have it online anymore so I will have to search the vast internet for what to do now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users