Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Limited or No Connectivity Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neumannu47

neumannu47

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

A friend asked me to install his Windows XP Home image from an M58e (7258-A36) to an absolutely identical computer. He's blind, and his reader software requires XP Home. When I restored the image, everything worked perfectly except the Ethernet card. The lights on the Ethernet port are lit and flashing. The network card driver (Marvell) installs correctly. Windows shows that the card is working properly. However, it will not pull an IP address. It is not possible to ping the router. 

After researching the problem for a couple of hours, I tried WinSockFix, LSPFix, and several other utilities thinking that the TCP/IP stack is corrupt. Nothing worked. The Ethernet icon still shows as "Limited or no connectivity." At this point, I decided to put the original Windows 7 drive back into the computer. It boots fine, and the Ethernet connection works perfectly. The BIOS is the machine is the last available one. There are no bulging caps on the motherboard. 

Thinking that something is corrupt in the Windows XP Home image, I wiped the XP Home partition and installed XP Pro from the ground up. The Ethernet port still doesn't work, even with the virgin install. I installed a Realtek PCI Ethernet card, and it works perfectly. 

The internal Ethernet card is properly enabled in the BIOS. Remember that XP is installing the driver, but the card is not pulling an IP address. The IP address from ipconfig is the dreaded 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. It is set for DHCP. There are no hard or static addresses entered into the driver software. (I tried a static IP address, but it didn't make a difference.) There are no yellow exclamation points in Device Manager. The router and the modem have been reset. Since the latest installation is a clean install, there is no malware and there are no viruses. No firewall is installed except the Windows, and it is disabled. The problem is not the SP2 problem. XP is SP3. 

ipconfig /release - no IP address to release

ipconfig /renew - no IP address

netsh winsock reset catalog - no luck

netsh int ip reset reset.log - no luck

IPv6 is not installed

DHCP pool is not exhausted

New Ethernet cable tried - no luck

I have read many, many threads on the problem, including this one, which end in a dead end. Can anyone suggest a possible solution? The mystery is why XP doesn't work and Windows 7 does with the onboard Marvell NIC. The only plausible theory I have is that the Marvell XP driver is misbehaving. That being said, the original computer has the identical onboard NIC, and it has worked well for two years with XP Home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

Why not just run a virtual box and install xp on that.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

If an installed card works...and the onboard does not...I'd say that's a clear signal to bypass the onboard and just use the NIC card.

Parts/functions on a motherboard do fail...without the motherboard being a total loss.

Louis

#4 neumannu47

neumannu47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Louis, the onboard controller is fine. It works with Windows 7. 

EDIT: Problem solved. It turns out that there was an updated driver for the Marvell card. It was not so obvious. Lenovo's site didn't offer it, and Windows Update didn't, either. I had to get it from the Marvell website.

Edited by neumannu47, 24 October 2013 - 04:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users