Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop goes from Dim then back to normal brightness and also Turns off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 katieh

katieh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

Hello.  I am new to this site and I hope you can help me.  I have a HP Pavilion laptop G62 with Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.  I bought it about 2.5 years ago and its only used about once a week.  The screen has started to dim and brighten.  It doesnt do it initially and I wonder if it is over heating.  Then it will suddenly turn itself off even if it is connected to the power socket.  Also when I try to charge it up the power cable doesnt always seem to work.  Sometimes I can get it work by wiggling the cable at the connection point with the laptop but occasionally the 'wiggling' method doesnt work.  Please can anyone help or advise me what to do?  I use it for work presentations and I cant rely upon it like this.

(Note: I put in the title of this message that the screen flickers.  I dont know how to edit the title now its posted but I should have been more accurate, sorry.  It doesnt flicker. It goes dim and then goes back to normal brightness)

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 October 2013 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Does this happen when the battery is fully charged?
If not I would suspect a power supply is going out.

#3 katieh

katieh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yes it happens when the battery is charged. It doesn't happen straight away which is why I wonder if its over heating?

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

How long does it take with a fully charged battery?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi, I suspect that I know exactly what is going on with that laptop.

First off the flickering is being caused by the bad connection where the AC adapter plug into the laptop.

Here is what is happening. The brightness levels are set differently for running on AC and Running on battery. As the bad DC In jack makes and breaks the laptop keeps switching between Battery and AC power. That will make the screen do exactly what You describe.

That is based on this statement of Yours.

Sometimes I can get it work by wiggling the cable at the connection point with the laptop

Usually this is caused by a broken DC-in jack, Broken solder connections, or a Bad cable/plug on the AC Adapter.

This is what the part looks like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-PAVILION-G62-COMPAQ-PRESARIO-CQ62-AC-DC-IN-POWER-JACK-PORT-CABLE-HARNESS-/271163761436?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&

hash=item3f229ea31c

I'm not suggesting this vendor either as I have never used them.

This a link to the service manual

Please note that first You should get the AC Adapter checked. Page 67 has the DC-In jack replacement instructions. The Laptops have very delicate connectors and it is easy to break them. Unless You have skills I suggest not opening any laptop.

I hope this information proves helpful

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi, I almost forgot............

From HP, If You suspect Overheating.

Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat
The following list describes some of the issues caused by too much heat in the computer:
  • Games stop responding during play.
  • Windows stops responding during use.
  • Fans inside the computer become louder because they are spinning faster to remove the heat.
  • When starting the computer, it sometimes stops at a black screen and does not open into Windows. Windows usually stops responding when it does open.
  • Mouse and keyboard stop responding.
Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP - Computer unexpectedly restarts or displays a fault message.

Not to mention shutting off to protect the CPU.

Cheers

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

If overheating was the issue I would think you would feel the heat on the case during operation. The bottom of the case would be almost burning hot to the touch.

I concur with Roger- you've got either a bad wire on your adapter or a bad/broken DC jack on the laptop. It's common that either being dropped or the jack being shoved too hard into the power port will cause this to happen.

Just to be clear- this also happens with a fully charged battery, not plugged in to the adapter?

You might check your power plan settings as well.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

True enough, It would be hot to the touch. Who knows maybe it is.

For example Toshiba had some models that had problems with the DC-in Jack pushing into the laptop due to a failure of the base where they were supposed to lock in. They had a shortage of bases for warranty work as a result for a while. They extended the warranty for that problem. I waited over a month in some cases to get the new base. I have seen a couple of those where the jack was pushed in just far enough to be intermittent.

Off warranty or by customer request for speed, the cure was Epoxy or hot melt to hold the jack in place. Epoxy was a better cure in one way, but if the jack broke You could get the hot melt out to replace it.

I wonder if the OPs DC in jack is partially pushed in too?

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite doing the same thing, I also suspect the jack like Rotor.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

One way to test, Pull the power and adjust the Battery screen brightness to match the AC power brightness. If the screen stays at a constant brightness then You know where the problem is.

That is not a cure of course, just a diagnostic test.

Some Toshibas the DC-In is on a cable and on others it solders directly to the Motherboard.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users