Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected by Cryptolocker and time has expired - What do I do??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zekif

zekif

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

Hi,

I have a lot of files corrupted. Now, the time to pay the ransom has expired. Is there any way to pay the ransom yet in order to get my files back?

I read here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information#decrypt

"What to do if your anti-virus software deleted the infection files and you want to pay the ransom!

As many anti-virus programs would delete the CryptoLocker executables after the encryption started, you would be left with encrypted files and no way to decrypt them. Recent versions of CryptoLocker will now set your Windows wallpaper to a message that contains a link to a decryption tool that you can download in case this happens. There are numerous reports that this download will not double-encrypt your files and will allow you to decrypt encrypted files."

Does it work also if the time has expired? Should I "infect" my files again in order to decrypt them? Please help me !

Thanks

Michael

Edited by zekif, 24 October 2013 - 05:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

The malware developer stated on their C&C site that if its expired it wont work. Others have said it would. I have no clear cut answer for you unfortunately.

#3 zekif

zekif
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Did anyone try it?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams