Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infections Eliminated, Problems Persist.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Macavity

Macavity

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

OldTimer has helped me to eliminate all malware and Spyware from my computer in the HijackThis Forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/47896/having-problems-with-wmp-and-javascript/ but 3 or 4 problems remain from the latest infection. As all spyware has been eliminated from my computer, OT suggested that I list the problems in this forum.

1. Windows Media Player will not open. I get the message: "Internal Application Error." I have uninstalled and re-installed WMP 10 a couple of times now, but I still get the same error message after re-installing.

2. RealPlayer plays audio but no video. Video files play audio only. I can't seem to download a new version of RealPlayer.

3. I get this error message on some websites: Enable javascripts. Some shopping websites don't work properly as I try to advance through on-line catalog pages. Javascript pop-ups don't open. I don't know how to uninstall Java, but I have attempted to download the newest version, and I am unable to do so.

4. When I have more than four or five IE windows open at once, my computer slows down significantly. According to my computer, I still have 25 GB of available hard drive memory. My computer has 512MB RAM and a 2.80 GHz celeron processor.

I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
I went into Internet Options
and found that "Active scripting", "Allow paste options via script", and "Scripting of Java applets" are all already enabled.

Edited by Macavity, 29 April 2006 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

Ok with three problems this might take some real work.

Do you have your system disk for Windows?

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed? And does your system disk have Service Pack 2 right in it?

What I am thinking of doing is a system Repair. It is like a full restore but does not make you have to reinstall all of your programs. However due to the fact that this is Windows I would suggest that you back up all of your important files anyway just to be safe.

Please follow the next information and print out the document for reference.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

The only thing after this is you willhave to go to www.java.com to reinstall Java, but that is easy.

If you think you are going to have trouble with any of this please either have someone who is experienced at computers help you or post back here and we will try to help with this process.

#3 Macavity

Macavity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

When I bought my computer (it's an e-machines) I was given a series of program disks that would re-install the programs that were installed on the computer. They're all labeled as e-machines disks (meaning I don't know which disk contains Windows XP and which disk contains other software.) The main issue, though, is that the disks indicate that they will wipe the hard drive completely clean if used, so these may not be a repair or "piecemeal" re-installation solution. Now, I'm wondering if I need to go back to Circuit City and request a Windows XP disk specifically (and if they'll give me one if I ask for it.)

Whatever I have, I'm pretty sure it pre-dates Service Pack 2. (I bought my computer in May of 2004.)

Either way, I'm currently working on making back up disks of all my files so that , whatever I end up doing, I won't lose all of my data.

Thanks, Thor, for the assistance.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

In this case the only thing I could suggest is going to eMachines web site and finding the email tech support and email them to find out how to do a repair or if it is possible to do one with he recovery disks. I know on some manufacturers disks it is possible I just went thru it with a friends HP recovery disk. While you are emailing the tech support explain the problems and ask their opinion.

I know it is a hassle but after you get your data backed up think about doing a complete restore back to day one. I know it is a lot of work but it might be worth it. You will not have these problems anymore.

#5 Macavity

Macavity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:54 PM

I'm backing up data as I have time, but it's been kind of a lengthy process.
In the meantime, though, a new "problem" has arisen that may (I hope) point toward the source of my problem.

My intel graphics driver crashed.

Microsoft Online's Crash analysis recommends that I download and install an updated Intel Graphics Driver.

At the Intel website I am presented with several different download options:

"Download the graphics driver for the Intel® 82830M Graphics Controller
Download the graphics driver for the Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller
Download the graphics driver for the Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller Family
Download the graphics driver for the Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
Download the graphics driver for the Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
Download the graphics driver for the Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS and 910GML Express Chipset Family
Download the graphics driver for the Intel® 82945G Express Chipset
Download the graphics driver for the Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family"

The problem is that I don't know what my chipset is. (Intel Extreme Graphics 3D is all I know.) Can I go someplace on my computer to locate that info?

Could the graphics driver be the "monster in the closet" causing all of the aforementioned issues or is it simply another symptom?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:10 PM

I am going to try to help you with a couple of issues, and expand upon what others have said in this thread.

Microsoft Online's Crash analysis recommends that I download and install an updated Intel Graphics Driver.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Get the latest driver from your computer manufacturers website, not Intel's site. If you tell us exactly what model and serial number computer you have we can help find the driver for you, or you can PM me with that info to keep it private if you would like.

I don't know how to uninstall Java, but I have attempted to download the newest version, and I am unable to do so.

Updating Java:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )
    It might have this icon next to it that looks like a coffee cup.
    Select it and click Remove.
  • Download and install the newest version from HERE.

I was given a series of program disks that would re-install the programs that were installed on the computer. They're all labeled as e-machines disks (meaning I don't know which disk contains Windows XP and which disk contains other software.)

Windows XP installs from ONE disk, so it stands to reason that disk #1 is going to be the Windows XP disk. At least I think that is a pretty good guess.

I don't know exactly why you are having such buggy behavior with your computer, but replacing damaged Windows files would be a good place to start. There is an easy way to do this. Go to:

Start > Run

type sfc /scannow then click on OK. NOTE: There is a space between sfc and /scannow. You will probably be prompted for your Windows XP disk. Insert #1 disk then and see if that works.

After that runs it's course (and it may take up to an hour), reboot and check things out. If there is improvement, then great. Let us know. But if no improvement let's next move on to ThorXP's idea of doing a repair install of Windows. Here is how (assuming the #1 disk is the Windows disk):

Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install CDs have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 15 May 2006 - 09:30 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

I am going to try to help you with a couple of issues, and expand upon what others have said in this thread.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Get the latest driver from your computer manufacturers website, not Intel's site. If you tell us exactly what model and serial number computer you have we can help find the driver for you, or you can PM me with that info to keep it private if you would like.

I don't know how to uninstall Java, but I have attempted to download the newest version, and I am unable to do so.

Updating Java:
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )
    It might have this icon next to it that looks like a coffee cup.
    Select it and click Remove.
  • Download and install the newest version from HERE.

I was given a series of program disks that would re-install the programs that were installed on the computer. They're all labeled as e-machines disks (meaning I don't know which disk contains Windows XP and which disk contains other software.)

Windows XP installs from ONE disk, so it stands to reason that disk #1 is going to be the Windows XP disk. At least I think that is a pretty good guess.

I don't know exactly why you are having such buggy behavior with your computer, but replacing damaged Windows files would be a good place to start. There is an easy way to do this. Go to:

Start > Run

type sfc /scannow then click on OK. NOTE: There is a space between sfc and /scannow. You will probably be prompted for your Windows XP disk. Insert #1 disk then and see if that works.

After that runs it's course (and it may take up to an hour), reboot and check things out. If there is improvement, then great. Let us know. But if no improvement let's next move on to ThorXP's idea of doing a repair install of Windows. Here is how (assuming the #1 disk is the Windows disk):

Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install CDs have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.

I never did Like E-Machines. His CD he has - is probably only a Recovery CD. if SFC/ Scannow isn't an option on his install of Windows, then a repair would be better if his Windows disk gives him that option. Best way for him to find out, would be to put the disk in CD drive and see with a Welcome to Windows box pops up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users