Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7 on Laptop with Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

I have been having major problems with Windows 8. It crashed on Sunday and gave me all kinds of boot issues that cannot be solved.  I have a start up disk for Windows 7 and I thought I would install that, but I get the following problem when it asks Where do you want to install Windows?

Disk 0 Partition 1 - Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  The partition was reserved by the computer's original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

Disk 0 Partition 2 - Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP).

Disk 0 Partition 3 - Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  The partition is a Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition.

Disk 0 Partition 4 - Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Disk 0 Partition 5 - Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.  Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space.  The partition was reserved by the computer's original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

The sizes are :

Partition 1 - 400 MB  370 free

Partition 2 - 300 MB  275 free

Partition 3 - 128 MB  128 free

Partition 4 - 449.2 GB  449.1 GB free

Partition 5 - 15.8 GB   15.7 GB free

My options are refresh, delete, format, new (which is not selectable at the moment), load driver and extend (which is not selectable).

What should my next step be to install Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xentara

Xentara

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:05 AM

You will first need to back up all your files as these will be deleted after formatting these drives,
Then I would only delete partition 2,3 and 4,
Once done you will then need to format the free space to ntfs
Then you can install win 7 on this partition.

Remember once formatted you will have to reinstall all of your drivers so it may be an idea to download them all first and save them to a USB.

Xen

Edited by Xentara, 24 October 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

The following is an excerpt from a article at PCMag.com.  This is worth reading if you are interested in downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

You canremove Windows 8, install Windows 7, and go about your life as if Windows 8 never happened. The bad news is that it's a complicated endeavor. In addition to the expected BIOS wrangling, drive formatting, and reinstalling device drivers, Microsoft has actually added extra layers of complexity. The BIOS has the added obstacle of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). Drives are partitioned and protected so that it's difficult to reclaim all of the space on your hard drive. And finally, manufacturers are spotty at best when it comes to offering Windows 7 drivers and rarely support users in making the switch. The result is a snarled Gordian Knot of complications, but there's not necessarily a sword available to simplify the issue. This guide, however, should help you navigate the many twists and turns.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users