Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPT Protective Partition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RedDiamond

RedDiamond

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the forums here and I'm really hoping someone can give me some good advice.  I have a 6-month old HP desktop computer that was running Windows 8 (64 bit).  It recently stopped working.  After several conversations with HP, they said it's a motherboard issue and can be repaired/replaced under warranty.    Up to this point I'm well and good.  However, they said they can't guarantee any of my data on my hard drive during the repair. 

Being fairly knowledgable about what's inside my computer, I decided to try to back up the data myself.  I bought a Bytecc 2.0 USB Drive Mate and connected it to 3 separate computers (all running either Windows XP 32 bit or Win 7 32 bit).  I get the same result on all 3 computers.  Hard drive is not recognized in My Computer, but can be seen in Disk Management as a healthy drive,only as GPT Protective Partition.  No options to assign a drive letter etc.  The only option is view Properties.

I believe this is an issue between the operating systems being 32 bit vs. 64 bit.  Is there any way around this so I can backup and retrieve data from the 64 bit drive?  I do not want to clean, format or initialize the WD hard drive. 

Specs:

1TB Western Digital WD10EZEX hard drive running Windows 8 64 bit

I also downloaded test software from Western Digital's website.  The test ran for several hours and came back that all the sectors on the drive were working.  I have 90% of the data backed up on other sources, but my concern is that I have sensitive financial data for my business that I'd like to offload from the hard drive before sending the computer back to HP for repair.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Edited by RedDiamond, 23 October 2013 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

I never heard of this before, thanks for sharing this.

Here's a solution I found.

http://www.disk-partition.com/blog/how-to-access-gpt-protective-hard-disk-on-windows-xp/

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

Hi

I don't recommend converting partition style as there is a slight chance for data loss. What i recommend is either of the below steps.

:step1: Paragon GPT loader.

This $20 commercial program will enable GPT support to Windows XP 32. Simply install it and connect your HDD. You will be able to access all your data just like a normal MBR disk.

http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/gpt-loader/

:step2: Use a Linux Live CD.

Connect both hard drive and boot the system from a small sized Linux distro like Puppy. You will be able to browse partitions of  both GPT and MBR disks. Simply copy whatever data you needed from GPT disk to the other drive.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/slacko-5.6-PAE.iso

#4 RedDiamond

RedDiamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for both of your replies.  I am a little wary of trying to convert the drive to MBR.   I tried Anshad's suggestion #1 for the GPT Loader.  It didn't work.  It says that it's unable to access the drive because all 4 partitions are being used.  

I am going to try the Linux Puppy next and see if that will help.  I'll let you know how that turns out.  Thank you for your help!

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi

You didn't need to use the built in "GPT disk manager" program came with "Paragon GP loader" to access the volumes. Just install the program and reboot the system. You will be able to access the partitions normally under Windows explorer (My computer). 

#6 RedDiamond

RedDiamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Okay, thanks. Will try that tonight and let you know.

#7 RedDiamond

RedDiamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

Hi,

After much trial and error, I determined that it's the hard drive that is defective.  I tried to access it through the GPT loader on 3 computers and again with the Linux Puppy.  All had the same result.  The drive was recognized as storage, but not in the browser/My Computer.

That got me thinking that it might be a bad HD.  I went back to my HP computer and powered it up again.  With the HD removed, it started right up and power stayed on.  Reconnected the HD and once again, the power supply shut down as soon as the HD started to boot.  

Now, at least, I know that it's the HD and it's time to give up on retrieving the data.  Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

Sorry for you.

Glad you can move on now anyway.

#9 RedDiamond

RedDiamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Thanks :)  Packing it up to go back to HP today.  Still holding out hope that the HD might be ok.  Just to see what would happen, I disconnected everything from the computer (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.).  It would turn on without fail and stay on.  As soon as I tried hooking up anything other than mouse, monitor or keyboard, it would fail.  I left the HD unconnected and tried to boot up the Linux boot disc from the DVD drive.  That failed to power on also.  So maybe HP is right and it's a MOBO issue.  A friend suggested that the power supply might still be at fault, but I tried to start the computer through an external PS and got the same result.

Keeping my fingers crossed :/

Thanks again for the all th help.  A great forum and I will be back if I need more help!

Edited by RedDiamond, 26 October 2013 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users