Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Cards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkboy

Dirkboy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hi,

I have read all the postings on this forum that have anything to do with graphic cards but I have a few questions that remain unanswered.

Firstly I currently have in my PC a intergrated 64MB shared graphics card, I take it this means its a AGP and PCI card rolled into one.

If this is the case when I want to change up to a better graphics card do I run the new card along side the shared card or do I remove the shared card ?

I had a failed attempt at changing it today, when I took off the PC cover I notice that the shared card was in the white slot (the PCI slot I belevie) with nothing in the brown slot which I understand is for the AGP card so I placed it in there but all I got was a blank screen so I reversed the operation now I am back where I started any help would be apprecated as you can tell this is a whole new world to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

OK The graphics card you have in the system right now is integrated into the motherboard. It more than likely is AGP but check the documentation that came with the computer, if you no longer have this documentation check on the manufacturers web site for you model number. But if you are going to get another video card I would suggest going to a reputable computer shop if you do not have the documentation that tells you what the type slots you have are. There are several different type AGP slots and the computer documentation will tell you what you have. If it is a PCI slot that you want to buy that is easy you have several of them and they are usually white or beige color. PCIe (PCI Express) is a different type of connector and should be shown or noted in the computer documentation.

When you turn off your computer and remove the case, you will plug in your new video card and it should be the right one. If it is not the card might go up in smoke but one thing is for sure the place you bought it from might not take it back. When you plug it in then turn on the power the computer system will automatically know that it is there and turn off the on board video card, so you do not have to worry about turning it off.

When the system boots it will more than likely ask for the installation disk, if it doesn't find the driver on the disk just run the setup program manually and when you are done your card will be ready to use.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:11 PM

Firstly I currently have in my PC a intergrated 64MB shared graphics card, I take it this means its a AGP and PCI card rolled into one.

No. An AGP card fits in the AGP slot. A PCI card fits in a PCI slot. Integrated means your video is a part of your motherboard and not a card at all.

I had a failed attempt at changing it today, when I took off the PC cover I notice that the shared card was in the white slot (the PCI slot I belevie) with nothing in the brown slot which I understand is for the AGP card so I placed it in there but all I got was a blank screen so I reversed the operation now I am back where I started

If your computer works at all after a stunt like that, thank your lucky stars.

You cannot just randomly move cards around. Even an AGP card with the wrong voltage can destroy a motherbord if it's put into an AGP slot.

If you want to upgrade your video card, the first step is to find out what kind of motherboard you have, then you look for a supported card. If you have an AGP slot, you have to know which type of slot it is, whether 2x 4x or 8x. Only then can you find a proper card to fit it.

When you removed the card that you put into the other slot, did you first have to disconnect your monitor cable from it? If you did, then chances are you have a PCI video card already. If you have been using the onboard plug for your video, chances are you have to first disable onboard video before you use an AGP slot. This is all covered in the motherboard manual. Look before you leap.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

I concur with Herk. You got off lucky. But having said that there is not reason you cannot complete this upgrade with our help.
You did not mention which brand computer you have. If you do have a intergrated video the video connection for the monitor should be attached to the motherboard near the USB or keyboard/mouse ports. In some computers the onboard video in automaticily disabled when another video card is installed. You will have to go into the BIOS and reduce the amount of allocatied memory so it can be redirected to the system RAM.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

Boot to safe mode
Open Device manager
Disable current Display Adapter
Turn off computer
Install new card
Boot to safe mode (If it wont start normally)
Install Software / Drivers
Reboot to Normal mode

:You cannot have 2 video cards enabled in your situation

Integrated means "Built in"
Your current Video Adapter is a chipset
JU$T1N~1

#6 Dirkboy

Dirkboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:11 AM

Cheers & thanks to you all, I'm now up and running, the new APG card has made a world of difference to my game play. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users