Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't import backed-up files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GottaGoFastMan

GottaGoFastMan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hello, this is my first post on this site. I signed up for help on backed-up files.

I have been thinking about reformatting my Dell laptop, so before I did, I backed up all of my files onto my 2 GB WD My Book hard drive using the Windows Image Backup feature. It took me about three or four tries before backing up it successfully, because I would get random errors for some reason.

I finished the backup afterwards, not bothering to look inside of the external hard drive because I was tired. I finished reformatting the laptop, and was going to drag all of my needed files into the now-fresh computer. I go into the external hard drive and see this:

woFCnzT.png

All of the files in here are .xml, .vhd, and just ".file" files. Is it possible that I can convert these files to regular documents?

I'll appreciate any help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hi  :welcome: To BC.

You can mount the VHD image file and access the files inside by following this Tutorial starting from the Mount VHD part.

Edited by SleepyDude, 23 October 2013 - 05:27 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users