Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop PC won't connect to Sky internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quintain

quintain

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hi

My system tells me "not connected - No connections are available"

I have set up a new desktop PC today (my old one died last week).
New PC came with Win 7 (trial/demonstration) OS.
I installed Win 7 Pro which over wrote the tempory/trial version.

The new PC connected to the internet (or so it told me) while installing Win 7 Pro.

An auto reboot took place and upon re-starting I cannot get onto the internet.

I have tried clicking and selecting various options and sometimes I am told "no driver available"

My laptop is satisfactory connected to the internet using the same system.

Sky Broadband
Netgear 12v router
connected to PC & laptop via 2 x ethernet cable

Sky help line tells me that as the router is working for the laptop my fault is a computer rather than a router or service fault.

I would welcome any advice and thoughts please.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 October 2013 - 05:16 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

It sounds like you need to install the drivers for your computer's network adapter.

From your start menu, go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Look on the left side of the page, click Device Manager.

Expand Network Adapters. Do you see a yellow triangle next to your network adapter device(s)?

If you do that indicates the driver for the device is not installed. You will need to go to the computer manufacturer's website, find the drivers for your model, download and intstall them.

While you are in Device Manager you should also check everything else to see if drivers are missing. If they are, you can then get those at the same time you get the network drivers.

After installing the drivers, see if you can connect to the internet. Please let us know the result. If you cannot, there are other things we can check.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 October 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#3 quintain

quintain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Device manager does not show a "Network Adaptors"

However I have 2 x yellow triangles on "Other Devices; Ethernet Controller & Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" Device/s Satus tells me "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)"

Ques'

Should I have a heading Network Adaptors in Dev Manager

I will tommorrow contact supplier and get driver/s

Thank you so far for your help.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

You may not have to contact anyone. Go to the website of your computer manufacturer as I suggested above and get the drivers.

Obviously you cannot do it from the non-working computer. Use a different computer. Download the drivers, save them to the computer. Then copy them to a flash drive, external drive or cd disk. You can then use the drive or disk in your computer to install from. I should have mentioned this in my first post.

I forgot all about Other Devices, which indicates devices which have no drivers installed. After drivers are installed it will appear under Network Adapters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users