Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Free Of Malware, Viruses Checked By Office Tec But New Error Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:42 PM

I am having an issue with my toshiba satellite 2410, intel pent 4, mobile processor, XP, 512 RAM, 1.9ghz.
I don't know when it actually started and all 24 of our computers at the office are under good security and our office tech insures that we are updated and scan regularly and a Security Co. comes in as well since we are a professional firm.

I hope that I am posting in the correct place.

What occurs is that while I am in a website and click on a Link for an email I get this Error:

" could not perform operation b/c the default mail client is not properly installed."

I googled around and found topics on this re XP, however I don't want to act on anything yet until I get experienced users opinions.

First off I have gone to Tools>IE Options and found the following listed.

HTML ED - MS Word

Email - O.E.

Newsgroup - O.E.

Internet call - Net meeting

Calendar - Blank (nothing filled in)

Content List - Address Book

and 2 choices boxes, one is for Reset Websettings and the other Manage Add Ons and a check mark beside IE.

I use Outlook Express and IE 6.

There was a suggestion to another person who had the same problem at this site, where Locker gnome was part of the group, the site is:

My Webpage

Do you think that this link D/L will resolve the problem???
Since I am not tech inclined I did not want to venture out and try something without getting experienced comments.
I would appreciate comments as i don't understand this and it does appear that OE is set as my default by what I have listed above.

I hope to here from members, thankyou
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

This should fix it. But make sure you back up your registry first so that you can restore it if you do something wrong.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

Thx for the reply, I was able to fix it by going into IE Tools to programs and changing OE to Outllook and click on Apply and then went to the website where the email address was that I could not access and clicked on it and then I went back into Tools and programs and changed it back from Outlook to OE and it is OK now. I am not certain what caused this as the machine is clean, free of viruses and bugs.
I got this recommendation from another Forum.
I thankyou for your time and suggestion.
Do you have any idea how this could have occurred, in order that it does not happen again?
I wondered if I did something to cause it?
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

Yes, You work ina company environment and somehow the Restore Advanced Settings button got clicked in Internet Options. This sets all of the settings back to default and the mail is default for OE not outlook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users