Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing and Damaged Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ee_athome

ee_athome

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hi:

We have been having problems with our PC for a while now, and I keep doing virus scans and cleanups, but to no avail. Today, I went into Safe Mode and was looking around and stumbled on various lists of what's on my computer in System.

One of the lists (Internet Settings - Internet Explorer - File Versions) noted that two files were missing:

iecont.dll

iecontlc.dll

Another list, also in Internet Settings (Cache - List of Objects), noted that the following file was damaged:

9FlCllAA-197B04942BA54

Would this explain why we get booted out to a black screen every once in a while (3 times, yesterday) which never returns us to what we were working on; we have to turn off the computer and start again?

And how do I fix the damaged file and retrieve the .dll files?

Thank you,

Elizabeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

#3 ee_athome

ee_athome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks. I had tried sfc /scannow in Safe Mode and it wouldn't work. I hadn't realized it would still work in regular mode. So I did the sfc /scannow and got the following message:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.  Insert your WindowsXP Home Edition CD-Rom now."

I did that, clicked "retry" and it scanned fine. But if I do the scan without the CD, I get the same message. I went to a Microsoft page that said it couldn't update my files because my version of XP was newer than the disk version. When I click on "information" in the "Windows File Protection" box, I get:

"Possible reasons for this problem:

- You have inserted the wrong CD (i.e., a different Windows product CD than the version installed)

- The CD-ROM driev in your system is not functioning."

Clearly it is the version option, so...what now? How do I find the files to copy to the DLL Cache?

Elizabeth

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Although you seem have left out a number of important details about your situation...the error message about wrong CD implies that the disks used were inappropriate.

What SP is currently installed on Windows?

Start...right-cick My Computer, click Properties.  Post the first 4 lines, please.

Louis

#5 ee_athome

ee_athome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hi Louis;

Yes, that is what I said above, "Clearly it is the version option". Which is why I asked how I find the files if the disk I received when I purchased the computer is no longer useful.

First four lines are:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Verison 2002

Service Pack 3

Thanks,

Elizabeth

My gut feeling is to just buy a new computer, but if I don't have to add to the landfill, I'd rather not.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Well...you could update your Windows CD by using nLite to include SP3 in the new disk.

New computerx are always a tempthing thought...but to buy a new computer just because the files happen to be damaged...well, that just doesn't seem very sound, based on the scope of the problem and the dollar differential between possible resolutions.

It's a lot simpler and aims at the problem...to try to repair or reinstall the O/S (after you create a new install CD which includes SP3).

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - http://www.nliteos.com/

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial154.html

Louis

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

I had the identical problem on a clients machine this week. Ended up installing the OS from fresh, wish I had just done that first before stuffing around with it for 4 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users