Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble finding Windows 8.1 Pro Product key

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 flickdog93

flickdog93

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

So I have a Toshiba Satellite P745-S4217 Laptop and a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop.

The desktop is running WIndows 8.1 Pro and the laptop is running Windows 7.

I'm trying to swap operating systems so it is the other way around, but I'm having trouble finding the right product key for windows 8.1, and I'm having trouble getting the Windows 8.1 Pro ISO to install 8.1 from a USB.

I was going to do the same thing for WIndows 7 to the desktop y getting the ISO and installing it via USB.

Any help getting the ISO files for both and finding my correct Keys is greatly appreciated.

I tried doing one trick someone posted about first starting a windows 8 upgrade, closing out of it, then starting a windows 8.1 upgrade which would make the install assistant send the ISO to a location I choose. The problem here was I tried the key I grabbed using KeyFinder(magic jelly bean) and the program said it was invalid.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

The key you retrieved using keyfinder is a "oem"key and the article about starting Windows 8.1 upgrade mentions that you cannot use a oem key. You cannot install the same operating system on two different computers.Microsoft does not allow this.

Edited by mainer21, 23 October 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#3 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm not trying to have it running on two computers. I'm trying to swap operating systems. I.E. change the desktop from Windows 8 to Windows 7 and the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8. So SWAP.  I own one copy of Windows 7 and one copy of Windows 8 legitimately.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

OEM copies are tied to the PC you first install them on, or in this case Toshiba and Dell.  You cannot legaly install them on a second computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

ZDNet > Will BIOS-embedded Windows 8 product keys cause reinstall troubles?

Those purchasing Windows 8 PCs are noticing that the small "Certificate of Authenticity" that is normally home to the product key is missing, and instead a "Genuine Microsoft" label has replaced it.

Rather than using a sticker, PC manufacturers are instead embedding the product key -- associated with a fingerprint of the hardware -- into the BIOS/UEFI firmware on the motherboard. This is part of Microsoft new OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0) mechanism and has been designed to combat piracy ...

CNet > Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys[/u]

Product keys for Windows 8 computers aren't printed on a sticker. They're encrypted in the BIOS.

The Register > Microsoft tightens grip on OEM Windows 8 licensing

Factories will report directly to Redmond

--

How to: Retrieve Windows 8 License Key from BIOS

#6 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Ok let me describe this better. My desktop originally had XP on it. I upgraded to 8 then updated to 8.1. My laptop came with windows 7. That should clear up any misunderstanding because so far you haven't told me anything I don't know.

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Instead of your OEM Product Key, try the generic key XKY4K-2NRWR-8F6P2-448RF-CRYQH.

Note that you'll need you own unique Product Key to activate the operating system.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 25 October 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#8 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

I already purchased Windows 8.1 so , even with some negativity, I will just torrent it, input my legitimate product Key, then install. At least Windows 7 x86 is available anywhere on the web so I'm already downloading that as a direct link from a site approved by Microsoft to host it.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

The following is one of Bleeping Computer forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

If you download a torrent of Windows it will be pirated software.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

Sounds good, don't care. Adios.

#11 topher1976

topher1976

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

The following is one of Bleeping Computer forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

If you download a torrent of Windows it will be pirated software.

ummm if you have a legitimate product key, no it is not pirated..

#12 maxkrill

maxkrill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:33 AM

So I have a Toshiba Satellite P745-S4217 Laptop and a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop.

The desktop is running WIndows 8.1 Pro and the laptop is running Windows 7.

I'm trying to swap operating systems so it is the other way around, but I'm having trouble finding the right product key for windows 8.1, and I'm having trouble getting the Windows 8.1 Pro ISO to install 8.1 from a USB.

I was going to do the same thing for WIndows 7 to the desktop y getting the ISO and installing it via USB.

Any help getting the ISO files for both and finding my correct Keys is greatly appreciated.

I tried doing one trick someone posted about first starting a windows 8 upgrade, closing out of it, then starting a windows 8.1 upgrade which would make the install assistant send the ISO to a location I choose. The problem here was I tried the key I grabbed using KeyFinder(magic jelly bean) and the program said it was invalid.

i met the problem, too, and my friend recommended to go to oggus com, they helped me resolve the problem quickly.
really a good experience to share. good luck.

#13 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

A link to your post has been submitted to piracy@microsoft.com

#14 zenithia

zenithia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Instead of your OEM Product Key, try the generic key XKY4K-2NRWR-8F6P2-448RF-CRYQH.

Note that you'll need you own unique Product Key to activate the operating system.

I put this your fake product key, now my windows 8.1 is no more the same and its asking for activation. Had to call microsoft to find out that it was a pirated versions product key. So confused, don't know what to do again, how to go about it, or even how to deactivate or reverse to my windows 8.1 without losing anything, without going back to windows 8.

#15 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

That key came from this MIcrosoft page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/how-to-slipstream-81/603bd25b-68b4-4fa3-89b0-d70c612a2320

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users