Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb,new Hardware Found, Plug N Play Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 flightschool

flightschool

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

Hello any and everyone.
-I've uninstalled/reinstalled CD-ROM soft that was packaged with unit. Computer will not recognize/communicate with Epson Photo Stylus RX500.

-I've tried unistalling/ reinstalling USB entries within device manager..found USB ports, but
no printer..

printer is almost new (20 or so pages printed), and computer was off for 8 weeks.

other USB peripherals not being found either...this includes every one of the 4 ports on my sys.

I hope this info is complete. I'm really frustrated. Spent $248 on new printer..I can't use!
sincerely, Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matt169

Matt169

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

"USB Devices not being found?!"

Source: http://forum.tweakxp.com/forum/Topic197343-4-1.aspx#bm197355

Note it says service packs can fix the problem, what are you running?

Offers the soloution:

*WARNING - EDITING THE REGISTRY CAN SERIOUSLY HARM YOUR COMPUTER IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING*

This may be a quick fix. Also all hits from the M$ support page did mention that this issue was resolved with the service packs and hotfixes.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb
Note If this registry key is not present, you must create it.

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: DisableSelectiveSuspend
Base: Decimal
Value data: 1

4. Quit Registry Editor.

*WARNING - EDITING THE REGISTRY CAN SERIOUSLY HARM YOUR COMPUTER IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHAT YOU ARE DOING*

Edited by Matt169, 29 April 2006 - 01:41 PM.

#3 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

Matt169, I appreciate your quick response! Still I click on my printer icon in system tray and 'searching' is all that happens. I found that on the windows update site, the updater never stops searching, so I may very well be missing an important patch or something.

-I'm running XP home SP2

#4 Matt169

Matt169

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

this is your printer it seems,

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...latform=Windows

but seeing as you say it is new i guess downloading drivers etc may not be much help

#5 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:10 PM

yeah, I've been all over that site, and on the phone and Email with Epson.
I have everything that came with this printer and it boggles me why it won't now work. A red notification window pops up with a red lightning bolt that says 'communication error'. I pray that a setting got messed up in my system and can be easily repaired.-Jeremy

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

Hello Flightschool, When you install the software for this printer do you have the printer plugged into the USB port? Also I notice you said that you have trouble with the other USB ports, this may be a system problem. What kind of computer do you have? Make and model and also some system stats like processor, Ram etc should be included.

I think we are going to have to help you reinstall your USB ports. Do you have the system disk? If the system is Windows XP do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

#7 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

Hello ThorXP, I have SP2 installed. I followed the install to the letter. during set-up, there is a screen that asks to 'plug in USB cable now'. I do and nothing registers. The screen still stays active like nothing was plugged in.
It then sends me to windows troubleshooter to resolve issue, which of course hasn't.
I have a Nutrend computer, Asus motherboard/ videocard. 1 Gb ram
only a printer connected via USB...but i plugged in other devices to see if I could get 'found new hardware' to activate.
i have more specs in my profile.

#8 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:40 PM

also, I have system disk from 2002. I think I have newer version installed now. A tuner reinstalled XP home a year ago. It says it is legit, and I use Windows Defender which supposedly checks and makes sure.

#9 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

Also, I've been to device manager and uninstalled/ reinstalled Usb entries within.

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:50 PM

Well, It sounds like you have covered all of the bases, one thing I would not depend on just Windows Defender to tell me I have a clean system it is still Beta.

From reading your past posts back to me it seems you have a real problem if your ports or system will not detect a device that is plugged into it. You say that you have re-installed the USB ports and since you did not say< "I will take it that they re-installed OK."

Are you using any other anti-malware or anti-virus or anti-spyware software besides Windows Defender?

Are you using a firewall? If so which one?

#11 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

I've had to verify a legal version of my XP home SP2 a few times, and so far no problems. I am using sygate and 3 anti-virus programs.

Yes, my USB reinstalled themselves.

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

Have you uninstalled any other printers or devices? Sometimes, they leave items in the registry that foil all attempts to install something new, or they mess up the USB ports, or both.

#13 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

I have not installed any other printers or devices, but I had to replace my power supply recently.

#14 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

Why are you using three anti-virus programs? You only should use one, when they are working even in the background they can run into each other causing a lot of problems and can even trash your system (Operating System)

Sygate has been bought out by Symantec and is not being supported anymore, I would suggest finding another Firewall to use. Even Zone alarm free for now is better than this.

I think we have found part of the problem with these three firewalls. Just for knowing what are their names?

#15 flightschool

flightschool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

ad-aware, spyware guard, and spyware blaster. never had any problems up until now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users