Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer returned from repair, cmd runs on startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 draga

draga

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hey guys, first post here - just found out about you guys from google. Lots of great information on this website!

I sent my Acer laptop in for repair last week and just received it back this morning. As I turned my laptop on, I noticed that cmd prompt ran on startup, and continued running in my processes list on task manager.

This struck me as odd as I never really noticed cmd running during startup (black cmd prompt popped up, disappeared before the login screen popped up).

Any way to see what cmd's it is running on startup? I checked properties but didn't find anything. Just making sure nothing funny is going on. Thanks in advance!

(If you need a Hijack post let me know)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

What operating system/version are you using?

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

if its been send in because of viruses, it could be that some scripting program got left behind in the cleansing process.

If your'e not familiar with laptops/pc's, ask a friend to download "autoruns" from http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip

Let him look at the start-up programs and just "untick" that looks like a suspicious file...

PS: a friend that at least know "something" about computers in your eyes...lol

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 23 October 2013 - 12:40 PM.

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#4 draga

draga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I know plenty about computers, and I've checked msconfig. Nothing odd. Wasn't sent in for viruses, sent in for a dead pixel fix. Only thing I can think of is they wrote down the wrong password for my login, and bypassed it.

Does "autoruns" necessarily find anything that msconfig doesn't?

PS I am running Win 8, updating to 8.1 as we speak.

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far!

Edit: Downloaded autoruns, nothing strange running involving cmd prompt.

Edited by draga, 23 October 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#5 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

I know plenty about computers, and I've checked msconfig. Nothing odd. Wasn't sent in for viruses, sent in for a dead pixel fix. Only thing I can think of is they wrote down the wrong password for my login, and bypassed it.

Does "autoruns" necessarily find anything that msconfig doesn't?

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far!

Edit: Downloaded autoruns, nothing strange running involving cmd prompt.

The reason why i asked for Autoruns, is that it "could" be that something is stating up with your computer...Autoruns is "THE" program to determine what starts when it comes to "automaticly running programs on startup"

if CMD poped up while updating...it could be normal...as sometimes they use scripts to do updates...or even changes

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 23 October 2013 - 01:08 PM.

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

I was going to suggest that It may be a corrupt windows file. But I know little about windows 8 (i'm still getting used to it ha!). You could always check task scheduler, to see if CMD is scheduled to come up on boot?  

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Sounds to me that it is stuck in Repair mode.  To the OP, where did you take your computer to be worked on, and what exactly was the problem that you were having?  Can you post a video of the startup process, as the computer is booting up, to show exactly what screen you are getting.  If your problem was due to a Operating System problem, you can fix that yourself.  Do you happen to have the Restore discs for the machine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users