Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware Aurora R5 Upgrade advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hammerofmight

hammerofmight

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

Hi everyone, this is hammer posting for the first time, and I would love too hear your opinion on what I should do with this desktop. Basically this post is like the one made by another user:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/455660/alienware-aurora-r5-upgrade-advice-bang-for-buck/
However, in my case, my budget limitation is higher.

This is what I have (note my upgrades already made for ram, os, & ssd)
[1] Aurora R5
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz Quad-Core (4x 512MB L2, 6MB L3 Cache)
Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video
Cooling - Space Black
AlienFX®: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Astral Blue
Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Standard System Cooling
Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI® Radeon® HD 4870 X2 Dual GPU Technology
Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB (is 8gb now)
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved AMD® 790FX Motherboard (M3A32-MVP Deluxe)
Includes PCI-Express 2.0, BIOS Overclocking Utility, and Support for AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processors
Operating System (Office software not included) : Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1 DirectX 10 Ready! (Windows 7 ultimate now)
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache (it's an ssd now)
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)
Enthusiast Essentials: Killer Xeno Pro
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard

I asked a friend and he told me to go down the route of buying a new mobo, CPU, and gpu. Going this route though was estimated to be around $1200, and could be more depending if I'd need a new power supply, etc. Or do you think I should follow the same advise given to the previous user for the money? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

If you're asking about upgrading the CPU, motherboard, and GPU, that is doable for $1200.

Motherboard:  ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX - This is a high-end motherboard that supports both Crossfire and SLI along with most AMD AM3+ CPU's.  $144

CPU:  AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ - You don't need a super top-of-the-line i7 CPU for this computer.  Most games place greater emphasis on the GPU.  $199

GPU:  MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G Radeon R9 280X 3GB - You can get two of these if you wish.  They are roughly rebrands of the previous AMD 7970 GPU's, only with a lower price tag and no bundle.  $309

PSU:  CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W - If you think you'll need more power, you can get this.  $159

OS:  Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM - Unless you have a full, boxed retail copy of Windows and not OEM or system builder, you need this to keep you license current as changing motherboards is the same as changing PC's.  You can live on the desktop and use the tile interface if you want, it really isn't that bad.  $99

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users