Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Infected with ICE get thru step 9 and then no luck

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jona123

Jona123

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

I was infected this morning with the ICE Ransom Virus.

I have a Dell running windows XP Home Edition sp3 and have ZoneAlarm that is running all the time.

I have followed the steps outlined and got thru step 9.

I in step 10 the HitmanPro screen never showed after about 2-3 minutes.

I now get an error

MBR Read

"Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)"

"NTLDR: Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)"

I tried to reload Hitmanpro to the USB drive from an ancient Dell Lattitude laptop and now it seems that is infected as I cannot access the internet.

My questions are:

I downloaded the hitmanpro to the USB drive on the infected computer using Safe mode with networking? 

Is it possible the virus tagged along?

I looked at the USB drive from my mac and there is nothing on it.

I tried to restore from a previous Store point but that was unsuccessful, the restore moves along for a minute or so and then exits.

I am thinking the next steps are:

Find someone with a PC.

Buy a clean USB drive

Load hitmanpro from that machine and try again.

any other suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jona123

Jona123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Bought a new USB drive and created a new boot disk and went to boot from disk and received the same error.

MBR Read

I would appreciate any suggestions

Taking option 2 I got a step further but get the above error plus

"Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done.

and then it stops.

Edited by Jona123, 24 October 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

I will make a basic report and see if I can get an Expert to help You -

#4 Jona123

Jona123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Thank You

#5 Jona123

Jona123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

I am going to try burning a CD and see if I can get that to work since not getting much traction.

The USB actually had HitManPro_x64 and it seems the _x32 does not download

Edited by Jona123, 28 October 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#6 Jona123

Jona123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Using the CD did not change the results.

On selecting option 2 receive

"Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done."

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

If you need assistance, please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step #6.

If you are unable to complete any step, please post the topic and leave a full description of your problems

When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Please Use Copy / Paste for your responses, and Do Not Attach them unless your helper requests this.

If HelpBot responds to your topic, please follw his Step #1 so the team will be notified.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.

Thank You -

#8 Jona123

Jona123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

Yes I do need assistance. I cannot start at step 6 because I cannot get past the ice virus to download unless this can be downloaded in same mode with networking.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hello, start the NEW topic. Include your 1st post and mention you cannot run DDS.
let us know if that worked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Jona123

Jona123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

started new topic please close this.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Thank you!

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
The current wait time is 1 - 2 days and ALL logs are answered.
If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.
To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users