Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to know which RAM to buy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have a netbook that has one slot for RAM that currently is 1gb. I can upgrade to 2gb but am unsure which type to buy. all the DDR stuff means nothing to me but am pretty sure there are people here that know what it all means and can guide me :)  

so, for example, I see Crucial has this one: 2GB DDR2-667 (PC-5300) SO-DIMM Laptop Memory Module.  

or I see this one: Crucial 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model CT25664BF1339

I have no idea what the difference is and the price difference is about $5.

I hope someone can let me know.  thanks so much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

so, I was doing more googling (I had given up but started again...) and found that crucial.com has a spot to put in your make and model and they will tell you which RAM to buy.  here's the link:

http://www.crucial.com/support/memory_buying_guide.aspx

#3 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

I have used that Crucial memory adviser site before, it will give you a good idea of what you need.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

Use the system scanner tab and the Scan my computer selection http://www.crucial.com/

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

Use the system scanner tab and the Scan my computer selection http://www.crucial.com/

yep, I did that and that's how i discovered that the max was 2 gb and that I have 1 gb in there now.  My question was regarding what the different types of RAMs are.  So, what is the difference between the two different RAM examples I listed above?

Even though I found the answer to which type of RAM to buy, I am still curious why there are so many different kinds of RAM.  What do all those numbers and letters actually mean? Would someone be able to explain that?  just curious is all.

thanks so much!!!

Edited by tobyo, 23 October 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#6 Xentara

Xentara

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

This is a good article explaining the differences in ram types

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400801,00.asp

Xen

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

yep, I did that and that's how i discovered that the max was 2 gb and that I have 1 gb in there now.  My question was regarding what the different types of RAMs are.  So, what is the difference between the two different RAM examples I listed above?

Even though I found the answer to which type of RAM to buy, I am still curious why there are so many different kinds of RAM.  What do all those numbers and letters actually mean? Would someone be able to explain that?  just curious is all.

thanks so much!!!

That's a very good link to differences in basic RAM. The issue that isn't addressed in the article is CAS latency. That just means how many CPU cycles a memory module needs to respond to a data request from the CPU. You can read more detailed information here. So, when you are assessing memory performance, you want high transfer rates and low latency.

Seems simple enough, but what you often find with computer hardware is that you are likely to pay huge premiums for relatively small gains in performance. If you want to be on the cutting edge, you should be prepared to bleed. Most folks are better served by buying midrange hardware.

About 12 years ago, I was teaching some accredited courses and continuing ed courses at our community college. When I taught PC Hardware and Repair, I used Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs as the textbook for the course. The current version is edition 21, and if you are serious about getting a basic handle on how PCs operate, you just can't do better than Mueller.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 Xentara

Xentara

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

thanks Slgrieb, I've just purchased that book, I've always wanted to know more about components but have never got round to looking Into it in huge detail!

Xen

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

so, hoping someone will be able to tell me what is up. I found the correct memory to buy, got it into the machine without touching the crucial (no pun intended as it is a crucial memory that we bought) gold side, put the battery back in, turned on the machine and nothing is happening? what is up with that? and is the machine still salvageable?  It's a Gateway netbook running on Windows 7 starter.

thanks for any help.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

is the machine still salvageable?

--- We need to review some items first to try to figure that out

You have a Gateway Windows 7 starter netbook 

What was wrong with it originally?

--- Was the netbook running ok with the original 1 GB memory chip?

--- Why was it determined that upgrading to 2 GB was the thing to do?

Since I don't like to assume things please verify whether or not the replacement 2 GB chip is the one crucial recommended

Check the specs identified on the original 1 GB memory chip to see if the new 2 GB memory chip specs match to ensure there isn't a mismatch

Have you tried reseating the new ones?

From what I understand, if a computer is in sleep or hibernate mode, it's a good idea to shut down the computer through Windows and even remove the battery when replacing memory chips

--- I'm sure you made sure the computer was properly shut down but I have seen instances in which that wasn't the case

--- And not knowing what the original problem was, if there were start up and or shutdown issues, those could be factors

--- So if you remove the new chip and re-install the original chip, will the netbook start up and shutdown down properly?

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

the computer just ran too slow and so I thought by upgrading the RAM it would make it run faster. so I followed the Crucial advice and purchased a memory recommended for that machine. but yes, I did take out the battery and it was powered down before we installed the new memory. we reinstalled the old memory and have the same issue, the machine will not boot up at all. :(  unhappiness making.....perhaps it's time to take it somewhere and have the professionals fix it. or junk it and buy another.

unless......there's someone here that knows how I can get the thing working.  may have to start another thread....thanks for your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users