Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows 7 No one can locate product key!?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hello All,

I always come to this forum when having computer problems so I figured I would look for some help on my current problem as well. My friend bought a laptop from best buy about 2 years ago, runs fine great laptop. Another friend of ours must have at one point for whatever reason re installed windows 7 on it with some random key. Now it runs horrible, I decided to look at it for him and reinstall the operating system again to make it run properly. I have no disc from Lenovo so I saved the .iso to a usb drive.

I used Jelly Bean Finder to located the product key but at the time I had no idea of the previous reinstall so it pulled the wrong key, not the original! Of course the Microsoft sticker on the bottom is half worn off so I can only see 15 of the 25 characters of the correct key that I need. I called both Microsoft and Lenovo and none of them have keep records of the keys on there computers which I can't believe. I even went to Best Buy where the computer was purchased and they also do not keep records of the keys on the computer. No one has a record of the key, just the sticker on the bottom! So now I am stuck at the part of the install where you enter the product key, which I don't have. I could understand if I stole the key or something but it was purchased legit. I have no idea how to fix this and look forward to some input.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

You have lost the key... It is lost.

You can use an activator which you can download via torrent (this is illegal), or buy a new license.

That's all sorry.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

In summary

You do not know the full original 25 character product key

Magic Jelly Bean reports the random key that was used in a previous reinstall

Now you want to do a reinstall to get it back to original factory condition

--- How are you doing the reinstall - from what if you don't have the original disc?

--- Are you using the factory restore feature from the built in restore/hidden partition?

Does Lenovo have instructions on how to restore the computer back to orinal factory condition?

#4 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm trying to reinstall The operationg system through booting through a usb drive with the .ISO im not sure if lenovo does they were not very helpful

Is there a way to get to the factory restore/built in partition from the boot menu?

Edited by Insaneman1731, 22 October 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

yes, the recovery partition will be seen as a hard drive, you just change the boot order to that one first, if it exists....

in the BIOS that is.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 October 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

That's a good idea to try

You can find the instructions in the computer manual on how to restore the computer back to its factory condition: what I don't recall is whether or not you will need the 25 digit product key to carry it to completion

As already stated, if the 25 digit product key is necessary, all is lost

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Generally you won't need the key if you use the recovery partition.

I suggest that you try it IF the partition has not been deleted.

If you need help with how to get to the partition, please do as suggested and read the user guide. If you don't have it look for it on the Lenovo website.

Now for the obvious question no one has asked: Did you look on the bottom of the laptop for the sticker which has the key?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 October 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#8 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

[quote name="Queen-Evie" post="3188511" timestamp="1382536516"]Generally you won't need the key if you use the recovery partition.I suggest that you try it IF the partition has not been deleted.If you need help with how to get to the partition, please do as suggested and read the user guide. If you don't have it look for it on the Lenovo website.Now for the obvious question no one has asked: Did you look on the bottom of the laptop for the sticker which has the key?[/quote

That's the problem I'm having is with the sticker. It is half worn off so I can only read about half of the key!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

What is the model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

What is the model of this computer?

Lenovo b560

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

From the information that I was able to find the B560 has a recovery partition which can be used to restore the computer to the factory condition using the OneKey Recue System.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Before you go through any more anguish over the key please try the following. Most likely you will NOT be asked for the key. I've used the recovery partition on many brands of computers and have never had to enter the key. I'm almost certain that will be the case for Lenovo.

lenovo-recovery.png

edit to add: dc3 posted while I was composing my post. His link includes more details and pictures.

You can also make a copy of the recovery partition on disks which is something I encourage you to do. They come in handy if for reason you are not able to access the recovery partition.

Start here http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/default.page?selector=expand

Choose Installation and User Guide.

Click the guide for your language to open the .pdf of the guide.

Directions are on page 24.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 October 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#13 Insaneman1731

Insaneman1731
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Great I will give this a try and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users