Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore a Ghost Image

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hope this is the correct place to post this problem.

Am operating Toshiba laptop with XP Home SP2 and have lost all sound and audio devices which has not been solved by reinstalling from the driver disk provide with laptop. Since I have backed up HD numerous times with Norton Ghost 9.0, I attempted to restore the Ghost image onto the laptop, but after attempt Norton Ghost message states that this operation cannot be performed while Windows is running, and must complete this operation with Symantec Recovery Disk.

Am confused. Is it really necessary to obtain another Disc from Norton to enable use of the Ghost Backup previously purchased will function.

Have I been duped again? I think I would rather throw the laptop away than to try to contact Norton. Went through literal dark places dealing with a similar problem with an identical laptop whose operating system failed [I might say hello Mac soon].

Ghost booklet states that individual files can be restored from the image to the operating system, so perhaps this is the way if I can identify the required files for audio. The devices are Realtek High Definition Audio but the Audio Codecs, drivers etc are stated to be standard system devices and manufacturer is unknown....perhaps they are also Realtek. Is there a location that shows what I might need to restore from the image to the system?

Out of my element here...but I am dubious of rubbing out the entire drive and putting my trust in Norton that all will be well with their recovery disk. I have the Toshiba recovery disk and can use it if I want to start over with just the system.

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2013 - 12:31 PM.
Moved from XP to All Other Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

The "Symantec Recovery Disk" is a bootable disk that helps Ghost to restore your files... You don't have to pay for this (you already have), you just download it here

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20091016094409EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

all the instructions etc. are there too.

Don't buy Apple, go Linux if you hate Wodniws that much.

EDIT: Symantec/Norton is terribly draining software on your system, I understand your pain, but it is your configuration not the OS causing this.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 October 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#3 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

I agree...that's why I do not use their software and remove if furnished with pc.  Thanks for info on recovery disk; will get the download and proceed.  My Ghost is ver. 9, so hope the Symantec Recovery disk for my version is available.  I have no real desire to go to Mac but both laptops have had problems [loss of audio and loss of firewall] which is taking a long time to try to fix.  Again, thanks very much.  Hopefully I can get it done and get on to updating to SP3...which was the intent when this occured.

#4 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Well, Norton does not have the Recovery Disk for Ghost 9.0!  Wonder why they would not keep that for people who rely on previously purchased products?  Now I cannot restore any of the computers I have.  Will need to find new non-Norton product to backup my drives now, and do a new install from the original system disks.

Again thanks, for trying.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Wish I could have helped more...  Funny system image/backup program that doesn't allow you to restore the files.... WTF? Makes no sense at all.

Use a good free firewall like Comodo and a good free antivirus (insert usual argument here) and you'll be fine. No need to pay these white collar criminal companies for products that don't work.

You might even consider a storage array or personal cloud storage also, I am now, as they have got so much cheaper recently.

#6 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi Chris Bar!

I can't resist throwing in my two cents here.

Well, Norton does not have the Recovery Disk for Ghost 9.0!

Admittedly, I haven't had any success finding what you need. But have you contacted Norton support? That'd be a good place to continue from.

Similarly, I can't help but feel like something is being overlooked. It seems improbable that a mere audio problem would warrant an image restoration.

And lastly -- for future reference -- Macrium Reflect (free version) is commonly recommended here on BleepingComputer. It allows you to make system images and selective backups, I believe. And the best part: it comes with a built-in bootable disc creator. Actually, it comes with two, but the Linux-based one is far simpler.

-r0d3r1ck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users