Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lines and Partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Caston

Caston

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hello to all

Varous scenarious with this screen.

It is an Acer aspire 5336, W7.

Sometimes the top one third is bluish/green and the bottom two thirds grey.

Other times vertical lines of different shades on lower two thirds, top third, nothing.

I attached a monitor to it and the monitor shows up ok.

I have never opened a laptop, so if some suggest it is internal, please, kindly explain the sequence of opening it.

Thanks

:clapping:

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2013 - 09:09 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I have never plucked up the courage to do this sort of dismantling on laptops, but if you google this -

'acer aspire 5336 screen replacement instructions'

you will find a considerable number of sets of instructions on how to do it. Just note that there appear to be two different screens fitted to this model of laptop. One other point to bear in mind is that at least one review I looked at quickly felt that the screen was the weakest component in this computer with something of a greenish cast at all times.

I would suggest that you establish, perhaps from the Acer web-site, exactly which screen you have fitted, then see if you can find a source for one, then see if you are willing, or even capable of, doing the strip down and re-build before you go and buy a replacement screen.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 October 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:13 AM

Before considering replacing the screen, check out the following ideas

It could be the display inverter instead of the screen itself. Some computers use something like a backlight converter instead of a display inverter. Those are units that feed from the motherboard up into the screen

--- Check your computer manual to determine which part you computer uses.

--- When I see the symptoms you describe I usually tap the hinge section, move the screen somewhat a little lower and higher and one time I used a clean power towel to gently wipe the screen (not to clean it but to observe how the display is affected).

--- The intent is to see if the problem essentially corrects itself as pinching wires or some defections in those units are the probable cause

On my sons laptop, tapping the hinge sections was the solution 3 years ago and the problem never returned although it took him about 6 times of tapping the hinge section before the problem went away

A few other times I called up DxDiag and ran the tests in the display tab section. If you decide to try this, take the time to let each test complete itself

Asyou can see, I don't use a step-by-step troubleshooting procedure but a trial and error method as I haven't found a step-by-step method yet

I just picked up a couple of used laptops that have major problems for free and I'm going to use them to experiment on how to remove a screen so I'll get the experience on how to do so

--- I have 3 laptops and I'd be leary about spending the time & money on replacing the screen on any of them without having gained some experience

#4 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

Many thanks to both.

I will try all these suggestions.

Caston

#5 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

I just found that rocking the screen backwards and forwards on its hinges causes the lines to alter in direction. Sometimes horizontal, and a mixture of horizontal and vertical lines. Then the lines disappear altogether leaving a clear screen.

Tapping on the space between the hinge and keyboard also cause the lines tp disappear leaving a clear screen, clear, as in colour.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

Consider leaving the screen in the position you like to work and tapping the hinge area as you are doing

Once the screen is clear and usable run DxDiag in the Display tab

Allow enough time for each calibration process to complete

You will get a report in the noies section on the results

I know tapping the hinge area is an inconvenience but in the meantime investigate whether or not you will want to replace LCD Display Inverter or whatever parts apply to your system. However it probably will be better to have a local computer shop take care of it for you if your display does quit on you

I'd like to think positively and that your display will clear irself up over time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users