Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up for win 7 free

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry84

Jerry84

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Looking to image my computer and program data with a way to just back up any changes on the next back ups, been using the one on win 7  but my 500gb spare drive keeps running out of space and I do not have that much on the computer 257gb used, If I were to just back up program data which program do I back up? I have looked for my outlook data and address book but can not find it. I really need something easy if there is such a thing,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

:welcome: to the community.

You can use a program like Acronis True Image which does Incremental and Differential backups depending on which one you setup. The difference in an Incremental and Differential is that Incremental only backs up the data that has changed since the last backup — be it a full or incremental backup. A differential backup backs up only the files that changed since the last full back.

As far as your outlook goes that depends on what version you're using. Typically Office stores your data in the \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office directory.

Other programs you can try are Macrium Free Edition , Crashplan , Shadow Protect

Edited by chrisd87, 22 October 2013 - 03:58 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Jerry84

Jerry84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Thanks , seem like they are close to the same thing but Incremental in most likely what I should do, I only keep a lot of pictures and music. I rip everything I can get but also store that on another HD that is hooked up to my Oppo CD Bluray player. Seems like I have a copy of Arconis that I bought for XP a few years ago but was a bit hard to understand.

where is app\data ? I do not see it. I am using outlook 2003 or Office 2003

Edited by Jerry84, 22 October 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

appdata is a hidden folder that you will not see by default. You'll need to unhide the folder to be able to view it and access it.

Do the following:

1.Go to C:\users\"your login"

2.If the toolbars up top are not showing "File,Edit,View,Tools,Help" then press Alt on the keyboard to bring them up.

3.Click on Tools-Folder Options.

4.Then go to View

5.Click Show Hidden files,folders, and drives.

6.  Click ok and then appdata will be visible. "It will be kind of faded out and not look like the rest of the folders."

#5 Jerry84

Jerry84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

OK I found the app data then found Outlook but still can not find the differant folders the I store Emails in on Outlook. I guess I need to send them some place else that will let me down load the data for my Back up.

Edited by Jerry84, 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

yes the login will be the account name that you use to login.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users