Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc's And Power Supplies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:12 PM

I am looking to buy a new PC straight off the shelf so to speak. I don't have much money to pump into a new mega machine and there are several package deals that meet my spending criteria. I do have a question however, about the power supplies that come standard in new machines these days. I currently have a GeForce 6800 that I am taking out of my ex's pc and it requires a minimum of 350 watt power supply with 400 preffered.

The Dell XPS 400 for example only comes with a 375 watt power supply per the rep at Dell.

Does anyone know if other "stock" pc's (for under $1000) come with higher wattage power supplies?

Another note on the XPS 400 - on the website you can upgrade to several different video cards the best option being the 512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX, but the thing that concerns me is that this card has a 450 watt minimum to operate. The guy at dell told me that the power supplies don't upgrade with the video cards so why would anyone purchase a card that the machine isn't capable of running?

Thanks for all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hello:

what the dell rep is really telling you in a round about way is this; if you want to upgrade your video card you will have to pay extra for a capable PSU

Dell PSU's are notorious for dying after on year >> they will be out of warranty and their wiring is proprietary
(unless you want to tackle rewiring the pins; which many people do!!) because their replacements are of course another weak junker.

You must sacrifice to get to the price don't kid yourself dell makes money selling replacement PARTS not the actually machine >>>> whey do you think they recently turned to the age old Compaq philosophy of a proprietary build ????

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:01 PM

For $1000 or less you can build a fine system that you will know has enough PSU power and overall system quality equal to your video card. It's very hard to judge off-the-shelf (OEM) systems because the manufacturers don't want you to know their weaknesses. Another major problem with OEM systems is that the cases, motherboards and power supplys are proprietary - you must go back to the OEM to buy replacements. IMHO that sucks.

All components used to build do-it-yourself systems are completely interchangable (within their technology type). This means if you want to upgrade a power supply or motherboard you will find many compatible quality products. Also, you will have many, many more choices that the extremely limited options that OEMs offer.

If you ask 1000 people what components to get for your $1000 system you will get 1000 different answers. However, you will see patterns to their choices and be much better off to judge by yourself what to get. I don't mean to sound like I'm brushing off the question of what to buy, but you need to do some serious investigation on your own in order to make informed choices. Asking around is always a good thing to do. Keep at it. Also, read the user reviews for computer components at Newegg.com. You will find a wealth of information there.

By the way, the only tool you will need to build a computer is a medium Phillips screwdriver.

Good luck and happy hunting

#4 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

Thank you both for your helpful responses. It certainly seems that building is much more advantageous than buying OEM. I will consider this and look futher into the possibilities at hand. Thanks again!

#5 PurpleSky

PurpleSky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

Do not buy a computer from dell. For $1000 you can build a very good system yourself. Dont burn your money purchasing a dell. Parts have manufacturers warranty from 1 year to 3 years. With dell you ll only get 90 days warranty. Do not need to mention what the quality of the components in it and the customer suupport you ll get from delhi. A 550 watt antec tru-power will cost you $99, fine motherboard will cost $99, Win xp home edition will cost $110 a nice case will cost about $70, 512 mb kingston $69, a reasonable speed cpu will be around $170 you mentioned you had your videocard. The motherboard will have an onboard sound card which is perfectly enough for regular use. An 80gb hitachi or WD hard disk will cost you about $70 so if you add these up : $687 and a 17 inch lcd would be around $270 ( with 3 years warranty )

To sum it dont let dell get you. for a thousand you can have a very decent system. Can you change a light bulb ? then you can build a computer. Ask help when you need. We ll be here.

Edited by PurpleSky, 01 May 2006 - 12:30 PM.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

Here's a system I've thrown together for starters. It looks like I've made a mistake - there's $100 left over. My bad. Upgrade at will. All the components shown are very highly rated. You might want to invest in an aftermarket cooler for your video card for overclocking it.

MOTHERBOARD ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131569

PROCESSOR AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB Socket-939 165
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103535

DDR RAM G.SKILL 1GB CL-2.5-3-3-6 F1-3200PHU1-1GBNS (X 2) 160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231046

HDD Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600SD 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Serial ATA150 95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144178

FLOPPY NEC $13.50 Black 1.44MB Internal 15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...-152-005&depa=0

CD + DVD WRITER NEC Black 16X DVD & CD 45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152058

VIDEO CARD N/A 0

CASE Antec Solution SLK3000-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811129152

POWER SUPPLY 430W Thermaltake TR2-430 W0070 ATX 2 FAN 50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817153023

MONITOR SAMSUNG 740N-Black 17 8ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001072 210

TOTAL 895

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

Where's the video card?

EDIT: Nevermind, I read the first post again.

Edited by legoman786, 03 May 2006 - 10:47 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#8 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

Pasqor that setup looks pretty good, however I'd probably want to spend the extra hundred (saved!) on a faster processor - roughly around a 3.0GGHz. Now let me ask you a question, if I wanted to add more than a 1 gig ram would I have room inside that case to expand (up to 4 if possible)?

Sorry if I sound inexperienced but I've never built a machine from the ground up. Thanks.

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

that is a very nice spec system for under $1000.00 Kudos & salute :thumbsup:

however the spare $100.00 he had left over I would use to upgrade and stay away from Thermaltake power supplies >>>> they are big time disappointing JUNK

Tne PSU that Purple Sky mentioned would get my vote = Antec Tru=Power 550

the rest of the specified system is very good !!

#10 printboy67

printboy67

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well I have to agree with one of the earlier poster's, you can build a screamer of a PC with a little bit of effort. I finished building mine last month. I used a P4 Prescott 3.4 GHz 800Mhz FSB and 2meg L2Cache. I used a PCChips Mobo, Nvidia 256Meg Video Maxtor 250 Gig Sata drive Pioneer DVD burner and 2 gigs double density Ram and new case with 6 USB's front and back. Built it for less than $400. of coarse I got the chip for free. ( old lady works for Intel ) but if you have the monitor, mouse, speakers and Keyboard you could do the same, or better, for less than a Grand easy.

Good luck

Printboy67 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users