Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build - monitor question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gromit615

gromit615

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

So I've assembled a new build and am at the point where I need to access the BIOS and then install my OS (XP). Here's the issue:

• My current monitor (VGA and HDMI) is not compatible w/ the mobo (DVI and HDMI) it seems. I currently have an HP w2207h monitor. I tried connecting the monitor and the new build via the HDMI but no luck (monitor does not detect the HDMI input and goes to sleep). There is, of course, no adapter for VGA to DVI so I am thinking that I may need a new monitor. And now here's my question:
  • If I purchase a new monitor w/ DVI, will the new build recognize it "instantly" since there is no OS installed as of yet? As you can imagine, I need a screen to access BIOS and install OS, etc.
  • Thoughts? And thanks for any input you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

There most certainly is a converter for DVI to VGA (little adapter that plugs into the DVI from the video card with a female VGA for the cable from the monitor).

You usually can find them at almost all computer stores. Most video cards come with at least one these days, so see if a friend has recently bought a video card and has one you can use.

Edited by GreenGiant117, 28 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

It would assist to know the details of the system build - mainboard model if the video is onboard, video card if discrete.

Do you hear the BIOS "all correct" startup beep? If not, there may not even be any video signal being output.

As GreenGiant has indicated, if the DVI output is DVI-I it provides VGA as well, and this could possibly be the default output. If this was the case, I'd expect the adapter to be supplied, since the output couldn't be initialized without it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 gromit615

gromit615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

The mobo accepts DVI-D (24 pins with none around the blade), while the monitor is VGA and has a DVI-A (four pins around the blade) adaptor. The mobo is a Gigabyte F2A85XN-wifi

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Are you hearing the BIOS beep to indicate the system has booted successfully in order to be sending a video output?

Have you tried all 3 video outputs? The manual doesn't seem to give an indication if any specific one of them is the default primary video output.

#6 gromit615

gromit615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

When I power on there are no beeps. I don't think the current monitor accepts HDMI as the video signal, only for things like cable boxes, etc. I've tried the HDMI and I dont have the correct DVI cable.

#7 gromit615

gromit615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

The mobo manual states that a DVI compatible monitor and dual link DVI cables are required. Since the mobo has dual link DVI-D inputs, I am thinking that I simply need a different monitor. Whatcha think?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

DVI and HDMI are the same signal, however if DVI is specified as being required, that may indicate the DVI port is the default primary adapter. If you haven't been able to try it, it could explain no video output. The DVI port can be connected to HDMI with an adapter, or suitable cable. The manual lists a DVI adapter as supplied - do you have it?

Remember though, if there is no startup beep, and the system has the facility to provide one (onboard or case speaker) then the most likely scenario is that the system is not booting up far enough to output a video signal.

The simplest diagnostic I'd suggest there would be to remove the RAM and start the system up. Absence of RAM should provoke a continuous beep code. If it doesn't, there's a hardware issue.

There shouldn't be any distinction between sources on the HDMI, the monitor is HDCP compliant, so any HDMI source should be suitable whether computer, DVD/Bluray player, or cable box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users