Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network & Backup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Amribor

Amribor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hello,

I have fallen into the default IT guy in my very small office of 6 people. I am not an IT person but have just enough knowledge to be dangerous! So my quustion is this:

We have two 64 bit machines that are both running Windows 7 Home Premium. We would like to network them and then use one to backup our Quickbook files every evening. Anyone that could walk me through this I would be very grateful. I have tried to network the two computers but whike I can see them both they don't seem to want to talk to each other.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

Amribor, have you shared anything on the computers? or even turned on sharing? I'm not going to type out instructions on how to share or turn it on when you can simply google it and more than likely get a video showing you or at least pictures =). The fact you can see each computer from the other means your battle is most of the way done.

Once you have sharing set up and it's working you just need to put the Quickbook files you wish to backup in a shared folder, map a drive from the other computer to the one their saved on and then open/save it from/to that folder on each computer. Again there are numerous sites that can show you how to do this easily.

If the computers are connected to the net, there is a concern that you'll need to protect the files. But get it working first before you start throwing security into the mix.

Good luck and let us know.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Xentara

Xentara

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hi Amribor,

If you want to do automatic backups every night I suggest you use a batch file and task schedular.
Some very informative directions are in the following link.
http://www.overclock.net/t/114345/how-to-automatically-backup-files
If you struggle let me know and I will try to help you further.

Xen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users