Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan noise when starting computer or waking from sleep!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

I am having intermittent fan noise in my computer.  It mostly happens when the computer starts or wakes from sleep and last a few minutes.  I am thinking the one of the fans is malfunctioning or vibrating on the case.

Below are some components in the case.  When the noise stops the case is very quiet.  What troubleshooting steps should I take to determine the cause of the problem.  Thanks

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl 

Cooler Master Blade Master - 120 mm PWM Computer Case Fan (CPU Fan)

New GELID Solutions Silent 12 FN-SX12-10 120mm Silent Case Fan

Silent Series R2 fans (140mm) that came with case.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Which fan?

I'd remove the side panel...take a look and pinpoint which fan (if it is indeed a fan) produces the noise.

If it is a fan...chances are that it's a bearing problem requiring replacement of the fan, IMO.  Relatively easy/cheap fix.

Louis

#3 Xentara

Xentara

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

It may also be caused by dust in the machine. Thus causing the machine to get hotter when under heavy loads such as waking up from sleep.( if the machine is hotter the fan will have to work harder thus the increase in noise). Try taking apart the case and blowing out any dust with a can of compressed air.

Xen

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

I will take the side panel off and see if I can locate the fan that maybe causing the excess noise.  I don't think the machine is running warm at 27 deg.  Thanks for the help and I will let you know. http://xfrgn7.png

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

I think Louis has hit the nail on the head.

When  a fan is going bad it first makes noise when the computer is turned off or has been or wakes from Sleep or Hibernation.

The fan bearings get dry and make a noise, then as they warm up from friction a little hardened oil softens and lubricates them and the fan gets quiet.

The last stage of failure is when You turn on the computer and there is no fan noise. There is no noise because the fan has seized and is not running. Be sure and replace the fan before it gets to that stage as whatever it was cooling is now not being cooled.

Typical fan locations,

Power supply, If it is this fan replace the power supply, it is not really user serviceable. A failed fan here could cause weird voltages and damage computer components.

CPU heatsink

Front of the case

Back of the case

Many Video cards, On the bottom of the card

Some motherboards have chipset fans.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Roger. Is there anyway it could be the fan in the PSU. my Gelid fans and Coolmaster CPU fans are brand new. My case is only 6 months old, therefore those fans should be okay.  Once I hear the noise again I will take off the side panel and try and locate which fan is causing the issue. 

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi, You might find it easier to take the side off then turn on the computer.

It could be the power supply fan, I have seen that. How old is the Power supply?

Any fan can go bad. I have seen cheap ones that just do not last.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

I was forgetting about my GPU Fan and that is the one making all the noise. I have a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 that has a small fan.  The noise is definitely coming from this fan.  Does that mean I have to replace the whole Graphics Card?  I don't think this fan can be replaced.  Is it possible to turn the fan off and if so is this advisable.  When I disconnect the red cable going to the GPU I get a loud beeping noise.  Appreciate any advice.  

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

I was forgetting about my GPU Fan and that is the one making all the noise. I have a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 that has a small fan.  The noise is definitely coming from this fan.  Does that mean I have to replace the whole Graphics Card?  I don't think this fan can be replaced.  Is it possible to turn the fan off and if so is this advisable.  When I disconnect the red cable going to the GPU I get a loud beeping noise.  Appreciate any advice.  

Hi, you can find a replacement fan for the graphics card but it is usually better to replace it with a aftermarket cooler which in return will result in quieter and cooler operation. In order to find a suitable replacement, is your graphics card using the reference cooler?

Edited by killerx525, 23 October 2013 - 12:03 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Not sure what you mean by Reference Cooler?  Could you suggest a few aftermarket cooler that I may try. Do I have to make sure that it will work inside my Graphics card.  Thanks

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hi, the way I look at it, if the video card maker could have gotten away without the expense of the fan, they would have.

Thus the fact that it has a fan indicates to me that Yes it needs the fan for cooling.

Hope that helps

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

you could try here:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/c21/s65/list/p1/Air_Cooling-VGA_HeatsinksCoolers-ATIAMD_Card-Page1.html

#13 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

Not sure what you mean by Reference Cooler?  Could you suggest a few aftermarket cooler that I may try. Do I have to make sure that it will work inside my Graphics card.  Thanks

Anytime a manufacturer releases a new hardware product, they have a functional product to display. That's the "reference design". Lots of graphics cards are produced that simply duplicate the "reference design". That's to say that they don't have enhanced performance, cooling, or memory.Think of a "reference design" as the stock engine of the computing world.

You can certainly find plenty of replacement coolers that should work with your system. I'd suggest doing a search on newegg.com, frozencpu.com, and coolerguys.com.  Most of the coolers I looked at were in the $79 range, but coolerguys.com has a replacement for the stock cooler at $29.95. Alternatively, this could be a great excuse to upgrade your video.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#14 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

I am really struggling taking the Radeon 5870 Card apart.  I have taken all the screws out, but it just doesn't split apart.   The problem end is where the HDMI/DVI connector is.  Any ideas would be great.

#15 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

taking it apart:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/11/28/taking-apart-the-ati-radeon-hd-5970/1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users