Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials won't restart or uninstall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PompeyBlue

PompeyBlue

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hi

I'm new here so don't know if I'm posting in the right place or even if I have a problem. So perhaps some kind person will set me right.

The Laptop I am concerned about runs Vista Home Edition and for security I was using Superantispyware Professional and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Recently MSE stopped working. I was invited to restart it but was unable to do so. I was also unable to uninstall in order to reinstall even though I followed Microsoft's own intructions. Worried that an infection might have disabled my virus protection I iperformed a full Superantispyeware scan. Result only the usual tracking cookies. I then installed Avast free edition because I had no virus protection. When I tried to scan with Avast it started but soon hung and froze. It did this twice.The only way I could perform the scan was to go into Safe Mode. The scan showed one infection "Java:Agent-CLW[Expl]". I removed this with Avast.

The computer is now running ok but I still cannot restart Microsoft Security Essentials.

Do I have something to worry about and what should I do about it?

Would someone be kind enough to advise please?

Thanks

Allan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

What instructions did you follow for removing MSE? Was it this? Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials by Stephen Boots, MVP

Sometimes removal via Add/Remove or Programs and Features does not work properly if you have not terminated msseces.exe in task manager and stopped and disabled the Microsoft Security Essentials service. You can run the Microsoft Security Essentials Removal Tool, reboot and then try reinstalling.

Troubleshooting resources:
I can't start the Microsoft Security Essentials service
Microsoft Security Essentials - Installation Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions
Common issues that can affect MSE and FAQs

Did you remove avast? Having two anti-virus programs installed can cause various issues so it needs to be removed before attempting to fix MSE.

If avast! does not fully uninstall, then you need to download and use the avast! Uninstall Utility (aswclear.exe) for complete uninstallation. Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on that same page and uninstall in SAFE MODE.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 PompeyBlue

PompeyBlue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I managed to uninstall MSE in the end after many attempts and using the second of two Fix It tools.I am leaving it uninstalled and relying on Avast which I have used before with no problems.

My worry was that an infection was preventing me from restarting/uninstalling MSE. It seems this was not the case (I hope).

Thanks again for your help.

Allan

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

No problem.

You can always get a second opinion...perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner. <- This process may may take several hours, that is normal
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon on your desktop.

esetsmartinstaller_enu.png

• Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked.
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • Please be patient as the scan can take some time to complete...close all programs and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Copy and paste the information in your next reply. If no malware was found you will not get a log.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
Note: If you recognize any of the detections as legitimate programs, it's possible they are "false positives" and you can ignore them or get a second opinion if you're not sure. Eset's detection rate is high and can include legitimate files which it considers suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Just wanted to chime in that I dealt with a similar issue in the past....A variant of the Alureon Trojan actually disabled MSE and changed the function strings in the Windows Antimalware service, rendering it unable to work, and when I managed to uninstall MSE I was unable to REinstall it.

Using Hitman Pro helped uninstall it by correcting the altered files, but that was all it did.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Just wanted to chime in that I dealt with a similar issue in the past....A variant of the Alureon Trojan actually disabled MSE and changed the function strings in the Windows Antimalware service, rendering it unable to work, and when I managed to uninstall MSE I was unable to REinstall it.

Using Hitman Pro helped uninstall it by correcting the altered files, but that was all it did.

Yep...I have encountered the same thing while helping folks and had to resort to using ComboFix and/or Hitman Pro in order to fix the problem. Fortunately this issue is not always related to malware infection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users