Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer's Fan Running Constantly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 morrjt

morrjt

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

I am using a HP Pavilion dv6 with an Intel i7-2630 QM, 6 GB RAM and AMD Radeon 6770M GPU (along with Intel Graphics Card). In the past few days, anytime I open a program, such as Mozilla, Chrome, Spotify, the computer's fans kick on. This has never happened in the past. Usually I have to run a video through the browser or play a game for the fans to turn on. The fan turns on when on AC power and when on battery. When this happens, the CPU usage is around 5-7% with 40-50% RAM usage (no change from the past). I am not sure why all of the sudden the laptop's fans are turning on. I have looked at the processes and do not see anything out of the norm and the average temp of the CPU's is about 51-54 C. I have not installed any new software in the past several months. Any input or ideas about why this may be happening would be greatly appreciated. I use Process Explorer and Core Temp to monitor my computer as well as Norton 360 as antivirus software. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Full Directions Here

Now try to get one when the situation changes -

Thank You

#3 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Here is the baseline report:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BtyzolKiDKlwku8Gp4Rf6Ft

Also, I did remember I downloaded WinDjView (which had MySearchDial attached to it). I did not realize the extra software came with it...

#4 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Here is the report while the fan's turned on.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Bchs1uqtxJhuhNPp7a2M5CF

Thanks for the help!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have just had a look at your two Speccy reports, and your fan is obviously doing its job - temperatures are lower with the fan running ! 

However, all the temperatures shown are nominal for a laptop so it would appear that your problem is not due to the usual causes of an accumulation of dirt and muck or obstructed airways.

The only thing I can think of is the way fans switch on. They are essentially controlled by a thermocouple, and if the 'switch' point has shifted for some reason this would cause the fans to cut in at a relatively low temperature. It may be there is some variable resistor on the motherboard to control the on / off point in which case you may be able to adjust it, if you can find it.

Although your problem is the sudden start-up of your fans, you do not say if they cut off again, or whether once they start running they just keep running. If they keep running, this would tend to back up my theory, and you may be stuck with it.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thank you for the reply. The fans will usually stop after a while. I was just surprised that all of the sudden the fans have needed to run so frequently. Although the computer's performance has been unaffected, the noise is sometimes a nuisance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users