Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will not boot, BSOD

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have a Gateway NE56R41u laptop that is only two months old.  Yesterday for no reason it just shut down and has since will not allow me to log in.  I am able to get to the desktop running in safe mode but that is it.  I downloaded who crashed and received this dump log. Any suggestions?

windows version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 4099170304 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1956007936

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 10/22/2013 12:50:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102113-55031-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7B340)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41793, 0xFFFFF683FF5AFD80, 0x1, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 10/22/2013 12:50:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41793, 0xFFFFF683FF5AFD80, 0x1, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 10/22/2013 12:31:26 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102113-67531-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC000021A (0xFFFFF8A0044208B0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000221, 0xFFFFF8A000CF59E0, 0x0)
Error: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
Bug check description: This means that an error has occurred in a crucial user-mode subsystem.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

On Tue 10/22/2013 12:17:45 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102113-53406-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xC000021A (0xFFFFF8A00F7828B0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0x7FCA9DB4EA1, 0xFC0608C8C0)
Error: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
Bug check description: This means that an error has occurred in a crucial user-mode subsystem.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider configuring your system to produce a full memory dump for better analysis.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

:welcome: to the forum mate.

Without inspecting the crash dumps, it is hard to say whether the issue is hardware or software related. Please zip and upload the actual crash dump files located inside C:\WIndows\Minidump folder. "User Account Control" should be turned off to copy the dump files. You can use the attach files option when replying to upload files.

#3 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Here are the dumpfiles from C/windows/minidump

Attached Files

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi

What you are experiencing seems to be Bug Check 0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED.

BugCheck C000021A, {fffff8a0044208b0, ffffffffc0000221, fffff8a000cf59e0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!NtSetSystemPowerState+878 )

Here is the MSDN article about this particular error code :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx

Cause

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

So it seems to be a typical software issue rather than hardware failure. I believe either malware infections or a third party program is causing the Winlogon process to terminate. Please try a clean boot first to eliminate and find any possible faulty third party service or stratup program.

To perform a clean boot, please read instructions from the below link carefully.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/23382-troubleshoot-problem-clean-boot-windows-8-a.html

Report your findings in next reply.

BTW, which is the antivirus software you are currently using ?

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 22 October 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#5 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I followed the steps for a clean boot restart and after restarting at the end of Step 1, my computer would not boot from the log in page, giving me the message "The program can't start because WINNSI.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." (mbamgui.exe).

It then opened to my Metro page with a few apps but it would not let me click on anything.

After sitting there for a few minutes and not allowing me to open the RUN dialog box for the next step, it just went to a solid background screen and that's where it is now.  I can see my mouse and move it, but that's it.

It just gave an igfxtray.exe error after sitting still for twenty minutes. Says click on OK to terminate the program.

Clicked on ok and it gave an igfxpers.exe with the same click on OK to terminate the program.

Clicked on ok and it gave hkcmd.exe error with the same message.

Then taskhostex.exe with the same message.

Then ePowerTray.exe with same message.

Then ETCDtrl.exe with same message.

Then it restarted to the gateway screen.

After the restart it allowed me to log in to my desktop with some of my apps but still won't allow me to click on anything or open the run dialog. Can't open the Metro start in the bottom left either because it just shows a spinning circle.

After a while I got the blue screen with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED as the message.

After getting the blue screen it did an automatic restart and was scanning and repairing drive (C:)

Scanned the drive and then did another automatic restart.

After the automatic restart, it went to the log in, let me log in, went to the metro screen and then blue screened again with Critical_Process_Died, and rebooted yet again.

This time on log in I got the following message: The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in.  The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported.

As far as antivirus, it just had the standard Norton installed from when I bought it two months ago.

Edited by TexasTeacher, 22 October 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hi

Please try the below steps from "Safe mode".

:step1: Check disk

1) Open an elevated command prompt.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2754-elevated-command-prompt-open-windows-8-a.html

2 ) Enter the below command and press "Enter key" .

CHKDSK C: /R

You will be prompted to schedule a disc check on next restart similar to the below image. Press "Y" to confirm.

6159d1337029177t-chkdsk-check-drive-erro

3 ) Reboot the system in to normal mode and the scan will begin. Wait patiently until it completes.  

:step2:  System File Checker.

1) Open an elevated command prompt.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2754-elevated-command-prompt-open-windows-8-a.html

2 ) Enter the below command and press "Enter key" to begin the system file check.

SFC /SCANNOW

This will attempt to repair possible system file corruptions.

:step3: System restore.

If neither disk check nor system file check is able to fix the issue, please try restoring the system to a date prior to this happens.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4692-system-restore-how-do-windows-8-a.html

#7 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Will there be any indication that this scan is going on? I was able to get to CHKDSK in the command prompt and put in Y then restarted.  However, on restart my computer is just stuck on the welcome screen spinning.  Is it scanning as I'm on the welcome screen?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi

Check disk is supposed to display a progress window like the one below.

diskcheck.png

Since there is no such progress is showing, i guess it is not running due to some major corruption. Please try running SFC or restoring system. If none of the options work, you may need to use the factory restore function.

#9 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Okay the first check gave me a System_Service_Exception blue screen. Working on scannow at the moment.

It never brought up the image you posted for the scan.

Edited by TexasTeacher, 22 October 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hi

Here is a video guide on how to roll back the system to a previous date using system restore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283BaiZCf5M

#11 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Attempted to run a system restore but the message is telling me No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restore point open system protection.

#12 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

When it gave me the option to send to Microsoft the error, I looked at the details and it is saying the following files are keeping me from restarting properly:

c\Windows\Minidump\10213-49593-01.dmp

c\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-89906-0.sysdata.xml

c\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hi

That is strange. Windows is supposed to create restore points regularly. Since the laptop is bran new, i guess there won't be much important data on it. Would you consider doing  a factory condition restore ?.

#14 TexasTeacher

TexasTeacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Did the restore. It had me go through everything again, renaming it, setting up the wireless, everything, and then did the same thing were I would log to the desktop and it would go down.  If I go to restore now it tells me I need a disk or media.

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hi

So you did a factory restore and the issue reappeared when the setup complete?. If that is the case, it is better to get the laptop replaced under warranty as it should be caused a hardware issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users