Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving to 220 volt country

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hi there,

How are you all doing?

So I'm moving to a country that has 220 volts & I'm VERY scared about all my equipment, not just the computer.

Please ONLY answer if you have first hand knowledge of all of this.

In August I bought a new desktop piece by piece.

I already contacted New Egg to get the name of the power supply which is Rosewell. She claims product support said there would be NO problems with any of the components in my computer (she claims they looked at all the items I bought), but I don't trust New Egg after the nightmare I went thru with them just buying this thing.

Anyway, I'm waiting on a call back from Rosewell tomorrow, but I want to get at least 20 different responses from different geeks b/c I heard from one of the expats in that country that they lost TWO desktops b/c something inside the computer wasn't compatible with the 220.

So that means even if the power supply will work, if something else won't, I'm screwed :(

Please help.

I can't afford to buy transformers for everything I have & I'm told they generate a lot of heat, which isn't good, & they use up a ton of electricity.

Thanks

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Does your power supply have a switch on the back to switch from 115v to 220v?

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that I looked & I don't see anything like that.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

You will need to get one with a switch on the back, and then you will be okay for all the components in your computer. Cause the Powersupply converts Alternating Current to Direct Current which controls all the components.

Or does it say a range for voltage input type?

Can you link us to the Power Supply.

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ok, took forever with New Egg, but here it is... Rosewell - #RG630-S12

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1307/ProductDetail_Overview.htm I guess it's spelled Rosewill

It looks like it says a range, but I thought there had to be a switch.

I'm still concerned about all the other components.

What other items in the case can be affected?

Can you list them off pls.

Thanks

Michelle

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

That PSU has universal input voltage, it will simply work correctly from any AC supply from 90V to 264V. That means anything it is powering will also function properly - so everything inside the computer case and anything powered from the USB sockets on the computer will be fine.

Any other components with their own mains connection, e.g. monitor, powered speakers, printer, will need to be 220V rated themselves.

Source: I live in a 240V country and make my living as an electronics and computer technician. :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

You may want to consider getting something like this: http://www.110220volts.com/AC-5000.html

It would allow you to convert or step down 220v to 120v for your other computer components.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

"Universal AC input 90~264V automatically scans and detects the correct voltage"

That is all you need to know.  120V, 240V, 60hz, 50hz will work fine.

The only power supplies that have actual voltage selectors are obsolete old school non PFC units.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

:(

I wrote out a post last night in response & it's not here. <sigh>

I'll try to remember what I said...

I have other things I thought of such as...

My Linksys E1200

My Logitech speakers - X-240

APC UPS - http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500G&total_watts=200 - brand new, haven't even picked it up yet from the mail forwarding place as it cost a lot to ship here.

2 APC Surge Arrest Power bars - LOVE EM :)

2 Brother printers (LOVE 'EM). Used to be a die hard HP fan until they became terrible. One is DCP 7030 & the other is the MFC-J615W

Dynex USB hub - N10117

External HD case - I don't have the model in front of me. Brand new

Asus Laptop - K55N (for anyone who wants a review, do NOT get an ASUS. The sound quality is terrible. While I don't need loud sound, I need sound that isn't tinny & it is & my sister said a friend of her's said the same thing.)

2 Durracell rechargable battery chargers. One is very old, the other is about 4 years old

Now what about my surround sound system? :(

This is a brand new system from about a year before I moved, so about 3.5 years old. I got a GREAT deal on it & really don't want to give it up.

Onkyo - HT-S3300 - http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S3300&class=Systems&source=prodClass

2 brand new Hunter ceiling fans (I realized as I was writing this down, that it won't work, since clearly it has to be wired into the ceiling) right? 28035

I know I have to leave the kettle which i am not happy about. This isn't a normal kettle, it heats water to a certain temperature you choose so you can make herbal tea & other things at the correct temperature.

Thanks guys, & I hope this post actually posts this time.

Hope you had a great day!

Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users