Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on start up screen (apple logo)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 GatitaRoja

GatitaRoja

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

So a couple of days ago I managed to drop my computer somehow, hit the left side of the computer and managed to bend the charger in the process as well (it still charges just fine). At first, the computer was working, just running really slow. I shut it off before going to bed and the next morning when I tried to turn it on, it didn't get past the logo and the spinning gear. I've tried starting it in safe mode and resetting NVRAM/PRAM (neither did anything).

What should be my next steps??
Thanks!

Edited by GatitaRoja, 21 October 2013 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Was the computer on when you dropped it?

#3 GatitaRoja

GatitaRoja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Yes the computer was on.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

I would suspect that your hard drive is damaged, and needs to be replaced.

#5 GatitaRoja

GatitaRoja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

I had that suspicion, thanks for that!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I would try getting the data off of it via using a live CD that has Mac Support like a linux distro.

#7 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

It certainly sounds like you have damaged your hard drive.  Have you tried hitting the start button while holding the Command Key and the R key?  It may bring you to the Recovery Partition, where you can run Disk Utility and try to repair your hard drive.  If you cannot get to the Recovery Partition, I am afraid your hard drive has crashed, but it is worth a try.

Again, hit the start button while holding down the Command and R keys.

#8 GatitaRoja

GatitaRoja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Update: the Command and R shortcut worked!!! And currently trying to run Disk Utility! Thank you so much!

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

If the Disk Utility fixes and repairs the Drive, I would highly recommend backing the data up as soon as possible and consider replace the drive.  I learned something new tonight.

#10 GatitaRoja

GatitaRoja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Currently still on Mac OS X Utilities window... The Disk Utility is selected and so is the "Continue" button.. It has been for about 10-15mins now. We will see what happens I guess? Thank you all for the advice and suggestions :)

#11 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Be patient, it is unusual for the disk utility to take so long to load.  If you have to wait too long, shut down the computer from the Apple menu (upper left hand corner) or if that does not work, just hold the start button down until the mac shuts down.  Then try the Command-R held down and hit the start button again.  Again, try and load Disk Utilities. Repair the disk.

If you are able to repair the disk (which sounds like a regular hard drive with moving parts), I would suggest you replace it with a solid state drive which you can purchase from the Internet for your exact mac.  The advantages are it has no moving parts and it is quicker.  I replaced a 500GB Toshiba hard drive with a 240GB Solid State Drive. It works faster and I no longer have to worry if the mac gets bumped.

By the way, it your mac was off when the mac dropped, the drive was probably protected because there is a Sudden Motion Sensor which detects which activiates when the drive is dropped and parks the head on the drive to protect it.  So, you may still be ok.  If you dropped the mac while the mac was off, that is even better, because when the mac shuts down, it parks the head.  A solid state drive does not need this sensor as there are no moving parts.

Do you have a backup system such as Time Machine/Time Capsule?  Until you can afford a Time Capsule, consider purchasing at least 32GB flash USB drives.  You can back up your documents folder, pictures, and music to this drive and have an inexpensive backup.

I would also suggest that once the drive is functional again, you make a Recovery Assistant Flash Drive from an 8GB USB flash drive.  This allows you to plug the Recovery Flash Drive into your USB port and holding the option key down and hitting the start button, to boot to this USB drive.  That way, if your Recovery Partition is not working properly, you can get to the same set of tools as the Recovery Partition.  The instructions are here:  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

I hope the Disk Utilities finally loads and you can repair your hard drive.

Let me know how everything works out.

#12 GatitaRoja

GatitaRoja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Waited for at least 40 mins, moving the mouse every time that it tried to go to sleep. Finally, I let it sleep and it wouldn't let me wake it back up (it was frozen I'm suspecting?) so I just shut it off. Thank you for all the explanation, that makes a lot of sense!

I was planning to go to geek squad/best buy if this didn't work out... Last time I went for a hard drive that had to be replaced, I paid around $75. Do you have any knowledge on their service? If I were to buy something online and take it to them, would they do all the manual work?

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Before you just go ahead a replace the hard drive, I would tend to suggest that you take the computer to an Apple Store (assuming there is one nearby). They will test/evaluate for free. If it is your hard drive (which I would agree is the first suspect), then they will be able to confirm that. But, if it is not the hard drive, then they can tell you that as well before you go spend on money on a new drive that you may not need.

The alternative would be to run the Apple Hardware Test: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

If you reach the point of replacing the hard drive, then you could always ask at Best Buy/Geek Squad if they will replace a drive you buy. If, however, you paid $75 last time for the new drive AND having them install it, then you likely will not really save any money buying yourself online and then paying them to install it. Even a 250 GB to 320 GB hard drive will cost you about $50 US...and I would assume they would then charge you at least $25 to install it.

Depending on the Mac laptop model that you have, it can be VERY easy to install a new drive (at least physically). If you tell us your model number, we can point you to instructions.

#14 GatitaRoja

GatitaRoja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Unfortunately, there is not an Apple Store near me unfortunately. I was planning to go to Best Buy/Geek Squad and have them run tests on it, as that is what I did last time I went.

I'm not sure what the model number is?? Is that the same as the serial number?

#15 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

You can use the serial number to look up the model number on the Apple site here:

http://support.apple.com/specs

If you click the "Browse By Product" button, it will switch to page with a search box for tech specs.  If you enter your serial number in the search box, it will find your model.

The other way is to basically describe it to us as well as what year (and when during the year) you got it.  From that, we can likely narrow it down.  

For example is it a MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, Powerbook?  

If a MBP, is it a 15", 13" or 17"?  Is it a "unibody" (i.e. non-removable battery) or "original flavor" (i.e. removable battery)?

If a MB, is the original style (i.e. removable battery) or "unibody" (non-removable battery)?

If it is a MBA, then it most likely have an SSD anyway unless you have the original version.

If it is a Powerbook, metal or plastic case?  Screen size?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users