Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering files from vista to windows 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ktown022013

ktown022013

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

A question for those of you that may have experienced this before.  My parents have an HP computer running Vista that recently died (motherboard).  They went ahead and purchased a new computer running Windows 8.  I told them to keep the old one so I could both fix it and transfer all the files from it to the new one.  I bought an enclosure and got the old hard drive hooked up to it.  When I power it on and plug the USB cable in everything works fine and Windows 8 recognizes it as being there.  It even lets me browse around the drive in My Computer, but the only folders that are visible are the Windows files and Program files, etc.  There are no documents, videos, pictures, music to be found.  Looking around it seems as if I need to have easy file transfer installed on the vista drive to transfer files into Windows 8.  Is that correct, or is there a different way to go about doing it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

Your parents files should be under the Users folder since they had Vista. You may have to take ownership of the folders too.

If they had more than one account then each user has their owb storage area under Users

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (or Vista or Win 7, 8)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ktown022013

ktown022013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

That is where everything should be but if I click on the users folder, it only shows 2 options. Public, which is empty, and mobile users.  If I look at the properties of the users folder, it says that it has something like 60 folders, so I know that it is there but it isn't visible.  This is my first time navigating around windows 8 so needless to say I'm a bit slow at catching onto things.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Ah, OK. In Windows 8 go to the control panel.

To do that go to the Bottom right corner and when the menu pops out choose the Icon that looks like a Gear with the word settings under it. Then choose the Control panel.

Click on the "Folder Options" Icon.

Then Click on the "View" Tab

You will see a line that says "Hidden Files and Folders"

Underneath that check the box that says "Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives"

While You Are there You might consider unchecking the Box in front of where it says "Hide extensions for Known file types"

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. That Control panel icon Works in Older Windows from XP, Vista or Windows 7 too.

Edited by rotor123, 21 October 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users