Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP printer needs to be restarted to print next document

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm using an HP 1006 laserjet with an HP PC running Win8 w/16GB RAM. Yesterday, I noticed that when I print documents, the first will print but the second one was stuck in the que. I turned the printer off, and turned it back on, and the document printed. But the next document in line was stuck until I did the same thing again. I also tried stopping and restarting the print spooler, but the same thing happened - it would print one doc and the next would be stuck until I restart the print spooler again or turn off the printer and turn it back on.

Any idea why this is happening, or how I can get it to stop and go back to normal printing? I print a lot of documents, invoices and shipping labels for my home based business, and I can't afford to keep turning this thing on and off every time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gamesbaz

gamesbaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

restart the print spooler again or turn off the printer and turn it back on

#3 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Did you read what I posted??

#4 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Anybody out there have a real answer/solution to this problem? Please?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Guesses...are easy to come by...solutions/answers are arrived at normally via a process of eliminating possibilities.  I have no "answer/solution" but I have some thoughts.

Uninstall/reinstall printer drivers.  You might also check the printer for cleanliness/dust that would impede proper functioning.

The print spooler...it's not uncommon for it to get stuck, IME.  It doesn't seem to take much, so you might want to track your paper input and insure that the paper is loading properly...that's the common cause of my hang problems.

Louis

#6 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

I understand that guesses are easy to come by and 'real' solutions are not, but when someone - who just signed up at this site, the same day - basically types the steps I've already taken, it feels like they didn't even read what I posted, and it's a little aggravating.

I have removed the printer, uninstalled the drivers, and re-installed them. Did nothing. The paper goes thru the printer just fine. It doesn't get stuck or jammed at all. I have another printer hooked up to this PC as well, and it works just fine. It's just this LaserJet that does this. The other printer is a color inkjet that doesn't get used nearly as much, but I did do several test prints to see if I had the same issue with it, and I do not.

The printer DOES work, and it DOES print - I just need to either turn off the power to the printer between each document, or stop/re-start the print spooler. It's becoming a pain, as I said I do a lot of printing for invoices and shipping labels as I work from home and sell items on eBay and thru my own store online, and I can ship anywhere from 10 - 25 packages a day at times.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

There could be an internal memory/processor issue with the printer. I often try a hard reset on the printer when they go south like this, sometimes helps.

#8 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

OK I'm not sure how I would do that. I did a google search for "hard reset" on my printer model, but nothing comes up. I tried holding down the only button on the printer besides the power button (it's just a red "X") but it didn't do anything. I've pulled the plug for restarting the printer but other than that, I'm not sure what else to do.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

With most printers you hold down a combination of buttons and turn them on at the wall whist holding them down...

As you only have 2 buttons I would hold down them both and try that, normally takes 10-20 seconds for the reset to start.

#10 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

OK I tried that and got nothing. I tried holding down just the "X" button, and got nothing. Not sure what else to try to get this printer to do a hard reset

#11 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi,

You might want to try removing the laserjet print cartridge, shaking it a little to redistribute the toner powder, and then reinserting the print cartridge.  It's a long shot, but certainly worth a try.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#12 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

To be honest, I did that already too. I'm not sure why that would have anything to do with the print que getting jammed up, but I did try that already. lol

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

I can't help you sorry mate... I guess you've been all over the HP support pages,

Might have to send for service :smash:

#14 AussieGirl40

AussieGirl40

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hi

I know this is an old post but wondering if you had a fix.  I had the same problem for months and just found the answer. 

With mine it was apparently Internet Explorer 11 causing the problem. 

Once I uninstalled the update and went back to Internet Explorer 10 my printer worked perfectly for the first time in months!  Apparently IE 11 is developed for Windows 8 and has issues with Windows 7.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users