Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore and folder permissions/settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BigD_NC

BigD_NC

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hello, I was fiddling around on my computer trying to get my homegroup up and running but have stumbled across an issue.

I noticed that since I was messing with the share settings on my folders that my iCloud pictures no longer automatically update. The only thing I can trace this back to is that I must have done something to the folder.

My user folder has a lock next to it and under "properties", the "read only" box is blue. No matter how many times I uncheck it, it always turns blue.

Additionally when looking at the thumbnail photos in my My Photo Stream folder, all of the pictures have a little lock on them.

No matter what I do, icloud will not update. I'm wondering if a system restore will undo any changes I made or if system restore does not touch these settings.

Conversely, how can I restore the default settings for folders under my user name?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

If you go to C:\Users and find your user account that you log into and right click-properties-security, what accounts are listed under the Security heading? Also what permissions does your account have under the security heading?

As far as a system restore goes, it would set the permissions back to whatever they were on the date that you chose for the restore.

Edited by chrisd87, 21 October 2013 - 11:29 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 BigD_NC

BigD_NC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

OK great.  It is my home computer, so I will have to check the user security once I get home.

In regards to system restore, I know the last photo that was downloaded via iCloud, so if I restore to a point prior to that it should also reset the folder settings again?

Thank you!

#4 BigD_NC

BigD_NC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

I show System, Home Users, Me, Administrators.  My account is listed as full control.

I also tried a system restore last night.  No luck, the folder is still "locked" and iCloud is still not updating.

So I'm wondering if it might be easier to just create a new user and move my files over to the new user.  Might be an easier fix?

Edited by BigD_NC, 22 October 2013 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users