Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop Random no power

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AdmiralCollins

AdmiralCollins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hey gang!

I'm working on a Gateway MS2274 laptop for a customer. The system will randomly not power on. The batery will charge but the system won't power on either with battery only, AC only or both. After pressing the power button several times the system will power on & boot normally with no errors. The system will reboot normally and can even be shutdown and restarted within a few moments normally. I left the system shutdown and unplugged overnight; once again it will not boot. I plugged it in and let it charge the battery, still won't boot. The cooliong fan will spin up & you can hear the HDD engage for about 5 seconds, then they go off. The screen doesn't light up either.

When it does boot, there are no issues; the system has no apparent infection or other issue. For running Vista it moves pretty quick. I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue but hardware diagnostics show all systems normal, even after several passes. 

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Could be the CMOS battery failing. Is the date/time always correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users