Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need new computer, help please

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Liijan

Liijan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hi, I'm getting ready to throw my Emachine 3507 with XP out the window soon (oh how lovely the crash will sound, ahhhh) and I need some advice. I was in the market for a laptop... I've never even used one and I thought it would be neat, but now I wonder if I should buy one or just get another PC. The only thing different I wanted to do was plug the new computer into our big screen TV downstairs to watch movies, but I can have the PC down there if it needs to be.

I'm thinking the smaller screen on the laptop might be an issue, as I'm not seeing as well as I used to... although I do use a 15 inch monitor anyway. See, I can't make even the most basic decision! Are there any issues or features that are a major change from a PC to a laptop?

Now I've read a little about the differences between Win 7 and 8, I see you have to look around to get a 7 as it's no longer supported. Is there a way to make 8 look and feel more comfortable to the user? I assume there are display settings, right? Is this the major reason why people don't like it? I am particular about my display settings, BTW. But it's better to go with 8 because of the support, right?

Thanks, I'm a mess...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi, Personal Opinion. Do what I did. Use the HDTV set as the display for a desktop computer. It does need to be a HDTV to have a sharp display. That makes the screen nice and big. Get a Wireless Keyboard with Built-in Touchpad or a wireless mouse and sit away from the screen a comfortable distance. Now I can compute while reclining in the recliner and switch back and forth between TV, Computer, DVD/BluRay as desired.

This way You can play videos off of Your computer on the TV, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Windows 8 is what I use. I use it with "Classic Shell" from here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Classic Shell is a popular Start Menu alternative that allows you to change the Windows Start Menu to appear as different Windows Start Menu styles or a new one created by the developers of Classic Shell. A really nice feature is that for those who do not wish to use the Windows 8 Start Screen, Classic Shell is configured by default to bypass it and boot directly to the desktop.

Windows 8 then runs like Windows 7. No Problems. Windows 8.1 is supposed to add back in the start button. I have not seen it yet.

So Windows 8 by adding a free program is great.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Liijan

Liijan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Yes, I've used the TV as my monitor, it is cool, but HUGE! I wouldn't be able to use it often, though, as my hubby is disabled and watches alot of TV. Thanks for your opinion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users