Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why should I not run Adwcleaner last version?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alagrange

alagrange

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

Windows 8.1

I think that I deleted all the program files for web cake, Babylon toolbars, vgrabber and similar ones. even those hidden in temporary folders.
several scaners (microsoft, panda, ccleaner, malwarebytes..)  told me that the pc is clean
then I looked in regedit and saw several keys still refering to those programs and others like zoomit which I had uninstalled
 then I ran Adwcleaner and found many keys refering to the unwanted programs, I just dared to delete a few ones.
then I had the upgrade from windows 8 to windows 8.1

Now I try to run the brand new version of Adwcleaner (downloaded from http://general-changelog-team.fr (not the mirror from CNET, as some users have doubts on whether they got infected there), but now I get so strong warnings from WOT about the website, and from Windows against running the last version of Adwcleaner that I doubt. 

is http://general-changelog-team.fr more trustworthy than CNET?

Why should I not run Adwcleaner last version?

Another better way to clean the registry of the obvious references to wholly  uninstalled (I believe) malware?

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

Download the version from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

AdwCleaner is a free portable adware cleaner by Xplode that will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware. It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...a search should always be performed first so the detections can be reviewed. When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab.

There is no need to run AdwCleaner if you're only having issues with a specific toolbar or add-on as there are other methods to safely remove them...i.e. Add/Remove Programs, Programs and Features, Revo Uninstaller, managing browser Add-ons, etc.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users