Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Church Goers?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:10 AM

How many of you here attend church on a regular basis?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:29 PM

Every time its having service unless im really sick or cant go.

#3 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

:thumbsup: Not me ...was made to go at boarding school..put me off...
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

I got this and liked it.

Why Go To Church?

A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like
3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them.
So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this ... They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 29 April 2006 - 05:08 PM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Press the analogy the other way, what if the man learned to cook for himself?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

I attend every Sunday, but try to live the message everyday.

what if the man learned to cook for himself?

Some things I do not possess the power to do, so I rely on being fed. Food?

**A topic better suited in Speak Easy?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:04 PM

I go to church every week. :thumbsup: I only skip it if I am physically ill, and can't get out of bed (the sniffles don't count!!).

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

I attend quite regularly.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

Uh, i'm going to post here just to break the monotony.... :thumbsup:

I don't go to church now, but i have in the past (through the beginning of middle school, about 7 years ago).

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 30 April 2006 - 11:19 PM.

#10 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

I don't go now but in 4th and 5th grade I was forced to when I told my dad I didn't believe in God. Church was very boring but I had a lot fun singing!

#11 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

I do believe in a god.

I never missed a sunday mass ever until i was 22.

The Catholic church have been shown and proved to protect child molestors in Ireland.

I will not be preached the word of God from these people.

I will not be told by a priest how to live a good and proper life.

I will be judged at the gates of Heaven by god himself for how i lived my life.

I have and never will harm an innocent soul.

I feel very very strongly about this. Religion is a very testy topic in my country.

Edited by snyper, 01 May 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

I feel very very strongly about this. Religion is a very testy topic in my country.

Snyper! hehehe You really slay me with the above^ I just have to say. I don't normally like to get sucked in to discussions of religion or politics. I just want to tell you though, I don't feel anyone could deny what you say. Thank you for that insight you share.

To answer the question of this topic, and since I am replying here I will try to get back on the topic at hand.

Yes I went to church as a child. I liked it. I liked the people there, it was comforting. As I got older and began to think, it occured to me I didn't understand church much. I was confused. How can you tell people to be full of forgiveness, turn the other cheek.. then, also condone an eye for an eye. I still do not understand.

Without going into a lot of blather on my part. Faith is found within oneself IMHO

I believe in God.. or a higher power, a higher consciouness. I do not need it drummed into me. I don't go to church anymore. I try to be a good person in life here on Earth. I do not want to ever hurt anyone. I hope in the end that I have done all right. Organised religion leaves me confused and cold and I can't get my head around it. Sometimes I still miss the community feeling of church.. but the price for it.. I can't afford. I do not begrudge the people that find comfort in Church. I'm glad.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:35 PM

The church is within each person.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#14 HEL_Master

HEL_Master

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:50 PM

I am against God.. I am not a satanist or anything like that, i could argue with you forever about it.. I think people believe in god because they are afraid. I dont know how anyone can worship something which is the reason for so much suffering. They say it is mans fault for the things that happen in this earth, well who made us this way??

It was said that moses helped the slaves escape, it is rather funny that this happens thousands of years ago where there is no real proof, alot worse has happened than this, i.e the halocaust, where was our moses? How can anyone believe in something wich is the reason for all suffering in the planet, he could stop it but he dosent.

#15 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:39 PM

Religion is a very testy topic in my country.

Since the door is open...

Religion is a very testy topic in every country.

I will not be preached the word of God from these people.

I will not be told by a priest how to live a good and proper life.

No one can keep you from Christ except yourself. If you know God you will not want to be away from him. I love my pastor and church - our church family has stepped up and helped me. my wife. and my children a lot over the last few months.

Are there bad people in church - you bet ya! Satan attends church regularly and loves to cause problems.

I think people believe in god because they are afraid.

100% right. I have a fear / respect for God. The cool part for me - I am forgiven of my past screw-ups and live as one of His children. Do I fear this earth, the human part of me does, the spiritual part doesn't.

My life since November 15, 2005:
1. My wife suffered a stroke - two in fact. She lost some of her speech and writing skills, but it is back!!! Thank you God.
2. My father suffered a gallbladder attack. He got better on his own - I say through prayers. The doctors ran multiple tests, but he was never operated on. Thank you God.
3. I have had a 4mm kidney stone that didn't require surgery. A torn bicep tendon that did require surgery - but I have been pain free throughout. Thank you God.
4. My wife faced a head on collision with a driver that wasn't paying attention - we came out with a scratched bumper - the other guy - a broke off drivers side mirror. If she was one foot to the left of her path, there is no doubt the boy would be dead. Thank you God.

Why do I thank Him for all this suffering? Because with each step, I felt he walked with me. I let go of the human plating placed on God and accepted God for what He is - my friend and savior.

From a friend - Mark Hall

I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say Amen, and its still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
Im with you
And as You mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

Ill praise You in this storm
And I will life my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear Ive cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I cant find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
Im with you
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

Artist: Casting Crowns
Album: Lifesong
Track: Praise You In This Storm
Copyright 2005

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users