Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus disabled my keyboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BalticFreeze

BalticFreeze

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

This is my second forum trying to get help for my situation in Bleeping Computer. So as not to waste time my original post is below as well as all the things the other person told me to try and do.

Original Post:

I have an ASUS PC Eee 1005HAB running Windows XP. I could not type on my PC so I had to use my mouse to right click on a icon then click open for anything to open. If I left click a box that gives the properties of the icon pops up. Sometimes I couldn't left or right click. I would have to shut down through ctrl -alt-delete.

I ran:

Malwarebytes which took off some PUPs

SuperAntiSpyware removed some trojans

Avast Free Virus Checker

Commodus - couldn't fix the viruses

Rogue Killer  - Seemed to remove a lot of things

tdsskiller didn't find anything

Sophos - didn't find anything

Stringer

Rootkit Buster - Couldn't repair everything

Commando Fix

gmer

Hijackthis

aswMBR

Advance SystemCare6

Ccleaner

AND Several Online scans from www.carrona.com

http://housecall.trendmicro.com  - Wouldn't scan for me
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html  - Wouldn't scan for me
http://onlinescan.avast.com/
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

I ended up running a restore to factory setting by pressing F9 and reran these all.  I ended up getting more off but I still could not type and then I couldn't get to safe mode by hitting F8.

Now I'm in real deep dodo b/c I decided to do another restore to factory setting installation but this time when I get to the part where I need to put a user name I can't type it in thus I can go no further.

Help! I think I'm going insane. I am no expert I just read a lot about computers so apparently enough to make a big pile of poo.

#3 icon_share.png Oh My

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 9,574 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Greetings BalticFreeze and :welcome: to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.

If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.

===================================================
#4 icon_share.png BalticFreeze

Posted Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Gary, thank you for taking the time to help me. I will be checking daily to see your responses. I'm grateful for your help. My name is Kelly.

#5 icon_share.png Oh My

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Hi Kelly,

My pleasure to try to assist you.

Have you attempted to use a USB keyboard?

Regards,
Gary
#6 icon_share.png BalticFreeze

Posted Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Yes I've tried the external USB Keyboard.

#7 icon_share.png Oh My

Posted Today, 09:34 AM

That is not very encouraging. :(

Please remove the battery then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Insert the battery then try the installation again.

Do you have the Product Key available?
Regards,
Gary
#8 icon_share.png BalticFreeze

Posted Today, 10:12 PM

I did as you ask and it still won't let me type. The product key is on the bottom of the computer.

#9 icon_share.png Oh My

Posted Today, 10:22 PM

Do you have the XP installation disk?
Regards,
Gary

#10 icon_share.png BalticFreeze

Posted Today, 11:21 PM

It did not come with a disk nor does it have a place to put a disk. This is what it looks like http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Eee-PC-1005HAB-Netbook/dp/B002U6JVDO

Oh My

Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM

I think my hands are tied since your issue is not malware related. If you would like, you can start a topic in the Internal Hardware Forum and someone there may be able to assist you. I'm sorry I wasn't able to resolve your issue but I am guessing your situation is in need of an expert in that field.

Please let me know if you start a topic there or decide against it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi

From the description you provided, i suspect a faulty keyboard with internal key short. These type of issues are very common with laptops. In fact keyboard is the number one failing component in portable computers.

What you need to do is to disconnect the original keyboard and use an external USB keyboard for testing. If you connect USB keyboard without disconnecting the original one, you will get the exact same issue as both keyboard works in parallel.  

To know how to disconnect the keyboard, please watch the below video carefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vRglqfQjyE

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 21 October 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#3 BalticFreeze

BalticFreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thank you for your quick reply I let you know how it goes.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Keyboard replacement isn't a major project- however due to the age of your system it might be hard to find one, and it could be costly.

#5 BalticFreeze

BalticFreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

I removed the keyboard and plugged in an external usb keyboard. I loaded some security software i.e. Avast, Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes as well as Abobe Reader, Java, Shockwave, Silverlight, .Net, Open Office iTunes and Skype.All downloaded from Ninite.com

I had forgotten to register my pc with Microsoft so I could not install the updates and was going to do that after the other updates had been installed.

When I came back to my PC a couple hours later it was shut down. I figured the Windows updates had downloaded and had shut it down. I turned it on and opened Malwarebytes and started downloading the updates and after a minute or so it shut off automatically.

I turned it on again and it got almost all the way booted up and turned off again. I did it again and it got past the post screen and turned off again. I did it again and it almost booted up but yet again shut off. Now what do I do?

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

The only time I have seen this happen IME is when I didn't fully secure the power cable to a new notebook screen. After forcing it to power on three times the power cable actually shorted out, burning the wires and requiring a replacement cable.

Are you using the battery only, or running it off the adapter? Or both?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

<<I had forgotten to register my pc with Microsoft so I could not install the updates and was going to do that after the other updates had been installed.>>

Registration...has nothing at all to do with the ability to update Windows at Windows/Microsoft Update sites.  I've never registered any Windows install, it's voluntary and of no perceived benefit to me...any more than providing purchaser feedback on an item I might buy.

Activation does, since it is a legal requirement.

Louis

#8 BalticFreeze

BalticFreeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Ugh! I misused the word registered and meant to use activate. So no I never register my Windows software. Let's get back to the issue at hand. Every time I start my computer up it shuts right back down.

"Are you using the battery only, or running it off the adapter? Or both?"

I am have run it off the power cord and battery. It does the same thing. Shuts down immediately.

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

As I stated before, that sounds like something power related is not fully or correctly connected. Be careful! You could cause a short if it's popping off like that. Definitely need to check your connections, and see if anything is loose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users