Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peculiar Sleep Issue after upgrading to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chiaki

Chiaki

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Since updating to Windows 8.1, my computer has picked up an odd habit when it goes to sleep. I put it to sleep (S3) as usual. Then, 10 minutes later (not roughly, I timed it several times, 10 minutes) it will wake back up momentarily. The display doesn't come back on. Judging from my LED light, I get the impression that it's writing a hibernation file onto my hardisk. Then it goes back to sleep.

Waking the computer back up after it does this is more time consuming than usual. It's usually a 2-3 second process, now it's upward of 12-14 seconds. Waking the computer back up before it does this gives me the normal result.

Now, I've never used hibernation or hybrid sleep modes, I don't know if this is how they typically work or not. I have gone through and made sure all of these modes are disabled in every way that I know how to. I have even gone to the BIOS and disabled Hibernation all together and it still does this. It's either not doing what I think it's doing or it's somehow become stuck on doing it.

I don't have any scheduled task telling it to do anything like this either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chiaki

Chiaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Update: It seems this was some fuction enabled in my Bios, called RTC (real time clock?) wake. I found it by complete accident while messing around in my Bios and going into the Intel Rapid Start menu. It was set to do this at 10 minutes and I disabled it, the problem seems to be gone. It's always been enabled but must not have worked "correctly" with my set up but when I updated to Windows 8.1 and updated all my drivers for it, I must have "fixed" it.

I'm still not entirely sure what it's doing or why it took so long to load up after it had done it. My main concern was I didn't want my PC constantly writing a big hibernation file onto my SSD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users