Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reverting *to* Windows 8 *from* 8.1 - many problems remain...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MJPRCE

MJPRCE

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi all....(you may wish to skip to text under the line)

Well like an idiot, I went and upgraded to Windows 8.1 after much hype and shenanigans and getting it from the Marketplace (the store, whatever they want to call it - I don't much care right now tbh). 

I discovered numerous issues upon "upgrading" (not the best word for it), and then went about frantically trying to revert to 8.

Well thankfully I've done it. But now I have new problems. One in particular.

I've just fixed the Nvidia wizard still running problem (the driver having been just successfully installed).

For whatever reason, and that reason I simply do not know, windows update has decided it is not going to run properly. It'll scan for updates available, tell me they're available, but when it comes to installing, it simply won't do it. 

I've run the troubleshooter - twice - on both occasions it's said (I'm gonna run it again because I know it's going to say the same things...for the third time) - ooh no..this is new...

I haven't run the troubleshooter...but I have found that it doesn't like installing more than one update *at a time* and prefers only to download updates that are kilobytes in size, not megabytes. This is both frustrating and annoying at the same time. 

In short......HELP!

Ta muchly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MJPRCE

MJPRCE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Right well....bit of an update.

Should anyone run into this problem and despite the fact regcleaners are not really liked nor advisable by many, I did exactly that. I ran IOBit's Advanced System Care's registry cleaning function, and it found a rather large number of problems. After opting to clean out the entire bunch of errors, the updates have finally been installed - with one failure to configure the updates having been noted - they have actually been installed and all are present and correct at the time of typing this. :warrior:

Windows update now functions as it should...now if I can find out why my i5 laptop is so damned sluggish, it'd be a bonus.

There may be more to follow on this horrid and nightmarish adventure, time will tell.

#3 mtfeeney

mtfeeney

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hmm... How do I delete a post?

Edited by mtfeeney, 20 October 2013 - 10:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users