Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice moving outlook 2007 from Win7 to 2013 on Win8.1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 way2ob2se

way2ob2se

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I have a Win 7 machine with Office/Outlook 2007.  I've just purchased a new Win8 machine pre-loaded with Office 2013.   I'm very nervous about moving Outlook, as my husband has a large number of work emails on 2007.  I've seen various posts on other sites, but none that help the comfort factor, since the situations are different.

We have three separate Outlook accounts - a yours, mine, and ours.  I have copied the .pst files for each to an external backup drive. Are any other backups required for calendar, contacts, etc., or is all of this in the separate pst file?   

I've seen some posts that say to use the Export/Import tool to move to a new machine (and others that say to avoid this tool at all costs because of data loss), but they seem to be to move to the same version.  I just haven't found any good info on moving to a new computer AND to a new version at the same time. 

Has anybody done this and can give me some easy-to-understand steps to do it safely?  (I'm definitely not a tech!)

Thank you.

P.S. My friend says YOU'RE the ones to trust! You helped him out when he was infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

I would use the import tool and do a side by side comparison of both computers before retiring the Windows 7 completely.

#3 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

Have you used this tool successfully, or know someone who has?  Would it export/import one users account at a time, or all three?  Would it mash them into one?  I'm really nervous about this because I've seen so many warnings against it on so many forums because files would get lost or corrupted. And this was just going from same version on machine A to same version on machine B.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Yes I have used the tool, and all my settings were transfered. Do one and see how it goes, and follow the on screen dialogue and make sure the items you want transferred are checked upon export and import.

Also do you have profiles setup in Outlook?

#5 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yes, I have three different profiles for three different email accounts. (on the old machine).  Would I pre-build all the profiles on the new machine first, or do they "come over" with the Export?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

DO one as a test, and determine that all settings transferred. I have used the tool recently, but I think there are a series of check marks and questions that it asks on export what youd like exported.

#7 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

Madman...I haven't been able to try this yet, as I'm running into other problems on my new machine, and need to wait until it's bugs have been worked out (like why an Admin account doesn't have Admin privileges and other freak-me-out things).  I have that mess posted in the Win 8 forum...so hopefully I'll soon be able to take the plunge with Outlook.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

Create .pst files in Outlook 2007 of all the accounts you want to transfer. Then import the .pst files into 2013.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/import-outlook-items-from-an-outlook-data-file-pst-HA102919679.aspx

https://support01.appriver.com/KB/a761/how-to-import-a-pst-file-into-outlook-2013.aspx

Export the .pst files to the desktop or a folder, then copy then on to a flash drive. You can transfer them from the flash drive to the new machine, and then import them.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues between Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2013, or between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users