Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep Mode Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

I have two computers running Windows 8.1.  The one I'm on now would not go into sleep mode until I flashed the BIOS, updated the chipset and a couple other drivers and eventually uninstalled the ASUS AI Suite program.  The other computer quit going into sleep mode when I installed Windows 8.  Sleep mode was working in Windows 7 but I have to manually put the computer to sleep now.  There is nothing much installed on the other computer and BIOS and chipset drivers are current from ASUS.  I don't notice anything in Task Manager using CPU cycles and can't figure out why sleep mode is broken.  I'm not sure where to begin trouble shooting beyone what I've already done.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Sleep mode issues are very common.

First off, make sure all of your programs are closed.  This issue is a biggie with win 8 and 8.1, because the tiles keep the last 4 apps open. 

To check what is open in the tiles do the following

To close a tile or app while you are in it, (so you dont leave it open) save your work then press

ALT+F4 (some keyboard require you to use the FN+ALT+F4 or FN+F4)

The above will close the current app your on.

ALso you can view a list of the open apps by pressing keys

WIN+TAB

This will make a list of them on the left side go to think link to see this guide and a bunch of others for WIndows 8 and 8.1

If this is not the issue, and it usually is, because if the programs are open Windows will not sleep until they are all closed. 

If not then try these steps from Vonnie Hudson's guides on windows.

1. Check your Power Options

Let’s try the obvious stuff first.  It stands to reason that clicking Sleep should put the computer to sleep; however, those settings can change — let’s make sure they haven’t. Go to the Start Screen and type

power options

Press enter and your power plan should immediately show up. Go ahead and click the blue Change plan settings link immediately to the right of your power plan

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-power-options-

The Edit Plan Settings box will pop onto the screen.  Click Change advanced power settings

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-edit-plan-sett

The Power Options box shows up with a myriad of settings.

Scroll down until you see Power buttons and lid and then click the + (plus) sign next to Sleep button action to verify the action is really set to Sleep.  

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-power-options-

Pressing the sleep button is tantamount to popping an Ambien; however, the computer should sleep automatically when there’s no or minimal disk activity.  I bet your settings are properly configured here – which is one of the reasons why this conundrum is so freggin’ annoying.

2. Generate a powercfg Report

Fortunately, Windows comes with a niffty little tool to make our sleuthing a little easier.

Press the Windows Key + x then press the letter “a” to open a Command Prompt with Administrator rights.  You have to be an admin to pull of this trick.

Now enter this into the black void known as the Command Prompt:

powercfg.exe /energy

After about a minute, you can view the Power Configuration report by browsing to the file location displayed in the results:

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-powercfg-exe-e

My report is a recondite webpage named energy-report.html sitting in C:\WINDOWS\system32\

Admittedly, the report reads as if it were designed for robots but not people, so it can feel abstruse and you might find yourself scrambling for an interpreter.

The other option is to run:

powercfg.exe /requests

This will show you all the applications and drivers that are making power requests.

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-powercfg-exe-r

I don’t have any power requests right now, but when there’s a problem you might see the name of a device driver or an IP address that can help you narrow down the root cause.  If something is requesting access to your computer, such as a SmartTV or media server, it can keep your machine up all night processing the request and you might see vestiges of it hanging out here.

3. Disable IPv6 or Leave your Homegroup

IPv6 is the latest edition and future replacement of the current IP addressing protocol known as IPv4.  Most adapters have both versions enabled for backwards compatibility but you can safely disable IPv6 for now until it becomes ubiquitous.

Note: this trick isn’t really a solution but just a band-aid.  Think of it like a transitory workaround until Microsoft fixes what I believe to be a bug.

Turning off IPv6

If you notice that disconnecting the Ethernet cable from your computer lets it peacefully fall asleep then disabling IPv6 in your TCP/IP properties might allay the problem.  If this does the trick, it might be because you’re still running Windows 8.1 Public Preview or a buggy release of the RTM edition.

Visit the Start Screen and enter:

view network connections

Right click your Ethernet adapter and click Properties

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-network-connec

Now scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), uncheck it and click OK.

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-disable-ipv6.p

Leaving the Homegroup

Homegroups are a great way to share media resources with family and friends at your home.  It lets you share all your music, videos and printers with just a few clicks; however, for some reason Homegroups are infamous for stopping the computer from catching its zzzzzz’s.

The simply workaround is to leave the Homegroup.

From the Start Screen enter

homegroup

then click Leave the homegroup and choose Finish.

4. Close all applications

The last thing to check is to make sure every program you can feasibly close is actually closed.

For example, if you leave VLC Player open, or an Internet Explorer window active in the foreground the computer probably won’t fall asleep by itself.

Also, make sure Skydrive is off because Skydrive does a lot of background synchronization which can keep the machine actively sending data to and from the Cloud. You can close SkyDrive by typing

sync settings

Next, from the Start Screen clicking the toggle switch to Off.

fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-disable-skydri

Good Luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users