Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 BSOD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hey, I have an HP Pavillion p7-1436s Desktop PC my mom uses. It was recently having issues with the printer and she decided to try to conduct a system restore. It seems that something went wrong mid-way because it will no longer boot properly. It's a 50/50 chance that sometimes it will boot into a black screen, forcing a manual reboot, or that it will boot to a BSOD with the error code 0xc0000001. I have tried booting into safe mode as well as booting from a usb drive loaded with utility tools and other operating systems but it boots into a black screen. I can't even really get into the BIOS settings. It is still under a 2 year coverage plan with Staples but they only cover hardware issues and I don't want to pay $80 for their diagnostics if I can fix it myself. It initally seemed like a software issue but now I'm thinking I might need to swap hard drives. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks.

EDIT: Oh Also, I have googled the BSOD error code and it kept giving me solutions using shift+F8 to get into recovery mode but it never works.

Edited by SmokeViper07, 20 October 2013 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi

I would do a diagnostic test first before looking for any potential software issues. Please try the below steps.

:step1: Press Esc during power on to bring the "Startup menu".

:step2: Press F2 to run a hard drive short test. There might also be a RAM test depending on the model. Key to initiate it will be displayed on the screen. If available do that also.

SMART short test is no way comprehensive hence may not detect all surface defects. But if it fails, you should submit the system for warranty.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Download "Who Crashed", and post the results from the dump.log.

#4 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi

I would do a diagnostic test first before looking for any potential software issues. Please try the below steps.

:step1: Press Esc during power on to bring the "Startup menu".

:step2: Press F2 to run a hard drive short test. There might also be a RAM test depending on the model. Key to initiate it will be displayed on the screen. If available do that also.

SMART short test is no way comprehensive hence may not detect all surface defects. But if it fails, you should submit the system for warranty.

I have already ran the HP hardware tests and they all passed, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Download "Who Crashed", and post the results from the dump.log.

I cannot do this, the computer doesn't boot.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi

As i said earlier, HP diagnostic only perform a short test which doesn't include a full surface scan. Open the side cover and identify the manufacturer of your hard drive. You can download bootable diagnostic program developed my the manufacturer from the below link.

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Error code 0xc0000001 means "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" which generally means the connections to the hard drive is lost during boot and that is why i suggest running HDD diagnostic. Other than a failing HDD, a faulty SATA data cable can also produce this type of error. Please try replacing it with another cable.

sata.gif 

#6 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hi

As i said earlier, HP diagnostic only perform a short test which doesn't include a full surface scan. Open the side cover and identify the manufacturer of your hard drive. You can download bootable diagnostic program developed my the manufacturer from the below link.

Error code 0xc0000001 means "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" which generally means the connections to the hard drive is lost during boot and that is why i suggest running HDD diagnostic. Other than a failing HDD, a faulty SATA data cable can also produce this type of error. Please try replacing it with another cable.

sata.gif 

Ok that makes sense then, just the problem is I can't get the computer to boot from another device. I thought of that before and using hiren's or something similar but it would just black screen. Only thing I could really do is check connections to the hard drive manually and troubleshoot that way. I believe it is a Western Digital 1 TB but I will make sure.

#7 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hi

sata.gif 

Ok that makes sense then, just the problem is I can't get the computer to boot from another device. I thought of that before and using hiren's or something similar but it would just black screen. Only thing I could really do is check connections to the hard drive manually and troubleshoot that way. I believe it is a Western Digital 1 TB but I will make sure.

I just checked the connections to the hard drive and they are connected fine. Should I just try putting it in another desktop and formatting it?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

HI

Although the cable is not loose, please try another known good cable. If you don't have spare one, borrow the one connected to the optical drive.

Also please try suggestions from the below link.

http://teamwindows8.com/2012/11/error-code-0xc0000001-in-winodws-8/

Do you have the Windows 8 install disc ?. 

#9 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

HI

Although the cable is not loose, please try another known good cable. If you don't have spare one, borrow the one connected to the optical drive.

Also please try suggestions from the below link.

http://teamwindows8.com/2012/11/error-code-0xc0000001-in-winodws-8/

Do you have the Windows 8 install disc ?. 

Ok I will try that. I don't have the original Windows 8 disc it is still installed on the section of the hard drive for recovery.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hi

Can you hook the hard drive to your other computer and run an "Extended test" with Western digital data lifeguard diagnostic to make sure there are no bad sectors in the surface ?. It will be wise to make sure the hard drive is fine before considering a Windows re-install. If there are hardware errors, you can get it replaced under warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users