Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not showing my network places.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Quailtail

Quailtail

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have a wireless internet connection on my laptop but when I click my network places, my desktop files will not show up.  I am using an Asus router with my destop hard wired to router. I had been using my lap top to store files on my destop and then using laptop to access my desktop.  Replaced the router and now can not see those files from my laptopAttached File  mini tool box results.txt   21.26KB   3 downloads

What could be causing this issue?   

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Quailtail, 20 October 2013 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:21 AM

Quailtail, what is the model of the router? What OS is on the desktop? Did you use the install disk that came with the new router? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Quailtail

Quailtail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

It is a ASUS RT-N66R Dual band wireless N900 Gigabit Router.  I am running windows xp on the desk top and I did use the disk to install the router. But, let me say I am not teck savy.  I appreciate you help.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

No problem not being tech savvy. If the only change you made to either computer was running the install disk, lets start with uninstalling whatever it installed. 

Do you know if it installed any sort of security program when it installed? If yes, please tell me the name before you uninstall it. If not do what's below.

In both XP and Windows7, click the Start button, then control panel.

On XP you want Add and Remove programs.

In Win7 you want Programs and Features. 

Then look in the list for the Asus router stuff and uninstall it all on both. 

And reboot both.

None of this should disconnect your router from working but if it should run the install program again to get it set up again so you can get online. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users